hydnophora

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

benthic creature
Hallo again

this days I bought one hydnophora .. I place it on the sand..
.. the question is why I cant see moving polyps during the day
only at night I see long polyps .. what is normal for this coral ?

Hallo to you too:)
This one is a night feeder as many are. Watch out for those long tentacles stinging it's neighbors. A flashlight at night in a coral tank is a lot of fun.

Mine are hairy in the daytime as long as I don't have them too close to the light. I have two frags, one down low away from the light and it looked great and another in the same tank up high on a frag rack that would not come out at all. I moved it down and it came out the next day. This applies to my bright green one.

I also have a teal hydno but it does great right under the light.

I have metal halides 20K so I have run into several things that won't put out polyps high up in the tank. But with two frags in the same tank it was pretty obvious that the high light was bothering the one.

Candy

hydnopora can send out wicked sweeper's and they will sting any and everything within reach. So be very careful when placing the coral after acclimation.

Hi 525: hydnophora was my 2nd SPS (after a monti cap). I originally kept it under 4x95w VHO bulbs. I kept it fairly close to the top and in good flow. It did pretty good, with moderate fuzziness and ok growth. I moved it to another tank under 2x250w MH. In this tank, I keep it on the sandbed (24" away from light) but still in good flow. It has really taken off since moving to MH, and is pretty much fuzzy all the time.

At times other corals (LPS) have gotten in contact and the hydno won everytime. I now keep it away from other SPS & LPS, but it seems to be ok near xenia and zoas.

When I originally got it about a year ago, it was a small 2" frag. Now, it's over 5" across.

hth,
rob

fishtank165.jpg

Thanks everybody for answers and help…:idea: :idea:
.. roblu great photo !
.. i will do my best for this coral :)

Here is mine. More of a darker green. Looks like this all the time.
3 400watt XM's
2 72" actinics

Thank you …!!
.. What is the distance from the 400W??

Here is mine.. what is your comment ???

I have mine about 1/2 way up 12" from top. The first pic looks nice. Found mine likes flow. Think my key is to feed at night like every three to four days. I have another guy I know and his is huge he has his almost out of the water. Try up higher slowly move up. Whats your set up.

Here is mine. Actually greener than photo shows. Mine also looks like this all the time. Positioned about 3" below water line.
2 175w MH's
2 48" actinics

Looks like there is more than one deferent types of hydnophora :?: .. is that correct?
.. how can id mine ?
Thanks

The Coral/Invert gallery has a few photos you can compare with. Also a google search brings up many. Try a google search on Hydnophora exesa and see if yours looks anything like that.

Last edited:
Back