Hydor Flo?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I'm thinking about reducing the number of powerheads I'll put in my nano by using Hydor Flos, the question is, having never seen one in action, what is the flow pattern?

I have a minibow 5 that will be bb and was planning on using 3 minijet 404s each plumbed with 2 outlets. Would I get full tank flow coverage with a pair of maxijet 600 or 900s with one output each with a hydor flo on the end? I mean, let's face it, this tank is small, how much flow do I really I need? I suppose another few gph wouldn't hurt. ;)

The later option makes plumbing a little easier (sorta) and will reduce the number of bulkheads and pipes and such in my tank...a good thing.

I have one and I love it. It just spins 360 degrees. It doesnt really change the amount of flow out of the nozzle as it spins, but it randomizes the flow in the tank. I hear that the Hydors reduce the powerheads flow a bit, so be careful of taking out to many powerheads.

KCharm,

Never owning a Nano, I don't have any experience with them, or their required flow. If you were Krish, you would go with a hammerhead closed loop, but most wouldn't want the cleanup from the splashing water like he enjoys. :D

Found this post, and thought it may interest you;
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t109398.html

Shows him using a couple Hydro's, and lots of discussion about his Nano, that I thought you may be interested in.

I had a hydor flo in a 10gal for a while, the flow was great, very random, and hydor flo's are cheap. Why do I not still have it? the darn thing was too big for a 10 gallon, I didn't like how it stuck half way across my tank on the end of a MJ 1200. If I had that problem then it would be much worse in a 5. Just something to keep in mind, they aren't as small as they look in pictures, and I only had one, I couldn't imagine trying to fit two.

Tim

Tim, this was a concern of mine and, assuming I can deal some space issues between the tank and the fuge which is behind it, I was going to put bulkheads in the back of the tank and then the hydors on the end of the bulkhead. I don't think it would even fit betweent he front and back wall of the tank if it were on the end of a MJ.

They are big, but if they are the ONLY 2 items in the tank, then I think they'd look fine. There may be some sort of overflow too, but I'm working on some ways to deal with that.

My concern is whether or not the flow from the the flo, hehehe, would hit all corners of the tank keeping detritus off the bottom and off the rock. The alternative is to have lots of outlets coming from several small pumps throughout the tank...I'd prefer two big hydors over 6 or 8 bulkheads or pipes sticking into the tank.

If you have a way around their size or are ok with it then they are the best thing for nano-flow. Mine worked perfectly for detritus removal and keeping the junk off the bottom. I just couldn't handle the sight of it in my tank.

For all that have had these in small tanks, if it rotates 360 degrees, does it end up splashing water when it's pointed at the surface? I don't want water leaving the tank of course, but I also need a quiet tank since it's in my bedroom.

Back