Hydor Koralia powerheads

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Agree the MJ have injured more Corals than I want to think about, between falling completely off or just losing the top suction cup and blasting a coral all day long.

I just bought a new Hydor K #3 today. On the lid of the box was taped a metal shaft which I asume is to replace the ceramic one. Should it be done now or wait till the other messes up? Or am I off base with this?

my first K3 is about 6 months now and it has the old shaft and works fine, unless you are going to hook it up to a UPS, I would just use the old shaft untill you have problems.

I just bought a new Hydor K #3 today. On the lid of the box was taped a metal shaft which I asume is to replace the ceramic one. Should it be done now or wait till the other messes up? Or am I off base with this?

I would replace it. Because I have a 3 with ceramic and sometimes when I start it the shaft bend and locks up the prop popping my gfci.

I read somewhere that these powerheads don't fair well in on/off situations. They will fail quickly when they keep turning on and off.
When I bought mine, I didn't see any metal shafts. I will have to check mine out.

I'm running 2 koralia 5's and 2 4's with a Hagen AquaClear Powerhead with a Quick Filter on it on a 180 gal. the flow is tremendous the corals love it and the fish love it and they're all ran by a red sea wave maker

Last edited:
On my 90gal I run 2 number 3's and 2 number 4's. I love the large amount of water movement that I get with them.

Are any of you using Deep sand beds? Does the Koralias stir the sand bed to much?

I use to K1's in my 20 gallon fuge to move my cheato around and it has a 4" sand bed. The flow is broad enough that it no sand is kicked up and no detritus settles to the bottom really. Great power heads.

Back