Hypo resistant ich?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

that doesn't appear to be ich...it definately looks just like what i had on my tangs...do any of the white spots have dark tops on them???have you ever done a Formalin dip???

Unfortunately, Steve will be out of contact here until the 8th of January.
I saw that we just missed him, oh well they have been in hypo for this long.... will just have to wait unless someone else has run into this.
Thanks for the heads up.

Actually, yes. Some of the spots do have dark tops on them. Not all of them. The larger ones have the darker tops.

No, I've never done a formalin dip. How do I do it? Is it dangerous/difficult?

beeps4u

Your fish doesn't have Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) It is one of the crustacean infections that often travel with wild tangs. I'm sorry the fish has had to wait so long to be treated. :cry:

Perform a freshwater dip according to my recommendations given here:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...tment/18887-freshwater-dip-marine-fishes.html

A few of these types of 'animals' don't fall off in the freshwater dip, but most will. If you follow my recommendations, and those 'animals' haven't fallen off the fish, then the next step is a series of formalin dips. When you have finished the FW dip, look closely at what has settled out in the freshwater. You should see small, sesame seed-sized 'animals.'

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I'll dip the fish as soon as I can tomorrow. Too bad I didn't contact you all sooner. I recently lost a hippo tang to what I think was a secondary bacterial infection due to this misdiagnosed pseudo-ich.

You are correct. In the captive environment these things can get out of hand fairly quickly. In the wild, the fish usually can survive. In captivity, secondary bacterial infections and opportunistic infections can slip in and 'finish off' the fish. :(

So, I was able to find some "Quick-Cure" which has both formalin and Malachite green. Unfortunately, the store that I went to didn't have any straight formalin. Will this medication work just as well? Or should I wait until I find some formalin? I can order it online or call a few more distant stores...

Also... If Quick-Cure is okay, what dosage should I use for a bath? The directions on the back only give a dosage for dosing the whole tank.

Last edited:
You don't need Formalin for the freshwater dip I suggested. You need Methylene Blue, Arm & Hammer pure Baking Soda and other things you probably already have.

For the future and your medicine cabinet, order Formalin from the Internet or from stores that sell medicines for ponds and koi. They use this.

Back