Hyrogen peroxide for aptasia?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jeffnewt

Barred Morey
Trying to get rid of these bastards. I have the needles and the peroxide. Any dangers of intoducing the peoxide into the water?

Last edited:
I did some more research, it appears pretty safe. Its really not helping much. Damn these things are hard to get rid of.

Try using either Joes Juice or Chem-Marin.

I purchased the Joes Juice at Saltwater City in Bellevue last year and it works fast. The Chem-Marin I just got a month ago and tried it for the first time this weekend, finding it deos not work as fast as the Joe's.

Alex B.

I was thinking about getting some P-shrimp, there are small ap's all over, just finding them takes forever. It would be nice to have something working on the problem when i'm not around.

I did get a few to melt with the peroxide- but the mojanos don't seem to give a s***.

Where would I look specifically for the pickling lime- is it used in canning?

Peppermint Shrimp are pretty much hit and miss. Some eat it...others don't. Yes, Pickling Lime is in the canning section of any grocery store. I pick it up cheap at Walmart. It's great for another use as well. A couple scoops of it per gallon of RO water....let it settle and clear up and you've got Kalk water to drip.

The brand walmart carries is called "Mrs. Wages" in a green and white container. I say go this route.

I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about trying to get rid of my aiptasia. I went with the kalk paste method, mixed up a batch, had the syringe, I had a lot of aiptasia, some were pretty big. I force fed every single one I could find, down to the smallest ones. Now, a couple weeks later, I have an infestation again. Bunches of small ones all over my tank. A couple days ago I went and bought two peppermint shrimp, they're still real skittish, all they want to do is hide, but I'll give them some time and see if they work. Wich me luck!!

I've delt with aptasia a few times.. I've only ever used the boiling water method, and more recently I figured hey, kalk works.. Why not liquid buffer? I had it on hand so figured i'd give it a shot. Took an insulin needle and shot barely .1cc worth directly down into the little bugger and he melted just as fast as with the boiling water method.

Peppermint Shrimp are pretty much hit and miss. Some eat it...others don't. Yes, Pickling Lime is in the canning section of any grocery store. I pick it up cheap at Walmart. It's great for another use as well. A couple scoops of it per gallon of RO water....let it settle and clear up and you've got Kalk water to drip.

So this could work as opposed to buying kalk at a LFS? interesting..

I have tried the boiling water and buffer(powder) solution and that didn't work for me. I am curious about the p-shrimp though, that seems like a good way to keep it at bay after the main killing is done...

I have had the best sucess using Joes Juice. I just bought another bottle for 12.00 at Saltwater City. First bottle lasted over a year. Well woth the 12.00 and it will work the first time.

im trying to find a needle that i could use to inject hot water or joes juice... but i cant find one...

I just went to rite aid- bought a pack of 10 for 2.50 from the pharmacist. I felt a little strange buying needles, I actually told them it was for aquarium related perposes, but I don't think they cared.

Back