I am blamming Oceanic Salt for coral loss.......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi Middlemark!

Well I have a Milwaukee PH probe in the tank I never noticed any spikes. So I guess I can eliminate that. On that note though after three water changes I have noticed that I have better polyp extension on my corals and my xenia are starting pump again. Those little pink fuzzies are my tell tale signs on water quality. They seem to be the first to show signs of a problem.... I am going to keep doing changes for the next couple days. I hope that does the trick.....

i just started using oceanic salt and noticed a quick buildup of hair algae... which I never had a problem with. I was told by a local (anonymous)LFS that it was a great source of calcium. Well I got enough to make 40 more gallons .... anyone know if you could use it for cooking? :D jk.

Well I hear you can make neat salt sculpture by mixing it up in boiling water untill it just wont dissolve anymore than setting it in a jar in the sun and letting the water evap out. Also you can make it into a salt ball, and use it to catch monkeys by digging a hole and placing it inside then setting large rocks on the outside of the hole monkeys can reach thru but not pull out thier hands when holding the saltball. After catching the monkeys you can tie them up and feed them salt, then release them the next day with numbers painted on thier backs, and have monkey races, to the nearest water hole.
Just a thought.......

Hay all, had to jump in on this one. Oceanic salt was the big todo with the stores when it was released; because it's so darn cheap!!!! And what does that tell you? You usually get what you pay for. Also the stores starting useing this in house, so make sure to do good transfers when store buying and then transfering to your tank at home. My advise is stick with Instant Ocean or Kent...Unless you can afford to go big with Tropic Marine.....Best of luck to all of you with this problem and remember a little more expensive salt is cheaper than replacing your animals...Later

Anyone want 180 mix of Oceanic salt. Gone back to Tropic Marin. I remember jumping on that band wagon :eek: :rolleyes:

Sheesh

MINIATUS

I am using ocean pure and it totally cleared up my cyano problem and evrything in my tank is doing great after 150 gal of water changes over the course of last month. I am very happy with ocean pur.
Erik

Hi,

I don't even have a setup yet, I am in the process of reading and planning. I opened this thread because I had recently read on another site about issues with Oceanic salt. I don't know if this is true, I don't even know if this would have anything to do with what you guys are talking about but I thought I'd add it for you to see.

“FAST DISSOLVING SALT MIXES:
Brands like Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals,*and OCEANIC use an additive called EDTA (EthyleneDiamineTetraacetic Acid)...things dissolve faster with it.* It is also a cumulative poison that is absorbed by corals.* Eventually they are unable to take up food.”

WA98296 said:
Hi,

“FAST DISSOLVING SALT MIXES:
Brands like Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals,*and OCEANIC use an additive called EDTA (EthyleneDiamineTetraacetic Acid)...things dissolve faster with it.* It is also a cumulative poison that is absorbed by corals.* Eventually they are unable to take up food.”

Can you go a little further into details on this. A link would be great also.

MINIATUS :confused:

Hi,

I honestly know nothing about this, I don't even have a setup, but I did run across an article regarding salt this week and thought I'd pass on what I read there just in case it was useful to your discussion.
What I saw was on the website of Seahorse NW in Portland, OR....titled "What's in Your Salt Mix?" Here's the link:

http://www.seahorse-nw.com/Salt_Mixes.html

Hope all of you find the answers your looking for there or elsewhere.

Well I saw two things very quickly that I believe are not true. My opinion on the statement about the quick dissolve thing is seeing many tanks over 5 years old, and some at the 7-10 year mark, I dont think the stuff keeps corals from eating. This is only my opinion and in no way is to be taken as attack on you WA98286. I am glad you are here, and brought this up. It was nice of you to bring it to the discussion. Please keep coming back. Steve

This is a copy from a previous post I had made.

I have used Tropic Marin on my previous tank and with my current tank. I did jump on the Oceanic bandwagon and did a couple of water changes and had to replace some water due to trading with it. I had poor results with Oceanic. I don't know what exactly it was, but what I think is the most important factor is to find what you like, and your tank mates like and stick with it and be consistent. The Oceanic, for whatever reason produced an alage bloom which after about 4 weeks has gone away except for just a few spots with a couple of major water changes with my tried and true salt.

My $.02

Hey everyone!

Well here is the latest news about my tank. After three water changes over two days I decided to wait a couple days before another change. So last Satuday I completed a fourth change. (all with IO salt) As of today my Tri-color now has its purple tips back the Xenia are pumping well. All of my other sps have great polyp extension and are also showing a regeneration in their color as well.

Here is my conclusion: After doing four or five water changes with Oceanic the corals got worse and the tank developed cyno and hair algae. After four water changes with Instant Ocean (which until recently I have always used) the tank has shown dramatic changes for the better. After seeing the results first hand I have to blame the Oceanic salt for the problem. Although some may remain sceptical that the salt was the cause of the problem this has proven to me that it was.

After doing four or five water changes with Oceanic the corals got worse and the tank developed cyno and hair algae. After four water changes with Instant Ocean (which until recently I have always used) the tank has shown dramatic changes for the better.

I remember this causing problems from what I read over R/C but the people that started New with Oceanic had no problems, unless they mixed the salt to the proper reef salinity and not the salinity Oceanic recommends. Maybe if you changed over at an even slower pace you could of made it work for you but I do prefer to try and mimic the reef as close as I can, so what I feared when Oceanic first came out, came true in a sense, not that I'm pointing fingers here just I prefer having a higher salinity level than the recommended Oceanic salt mix

I can't comment on Oceanic since I've never used it, but I thought I'd mention the improvement my tanks have seen from switching to Seattle Public Aquarium water from IO. I've used IO for years without any major problem (none that can be blamed on the salt), but I have to admit that the Seattle Aquarium water has caused my coral and anemones to perk up. I've only been using it for a few weeks now, but so far so good.

Clayton

“FAST DISSOLVING SALT MIXES:Brands like Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals,*and OCEANIC use an additive called EDTA (EthyleneDiamineTetraacetic Acid)...things dissolve faster with it.* It is also a cumulative poison that is absorbed by corals.* Eventually they are unable to take up food.”

LOL EDTA is what is known as a universal binder. It binds material such as metals and simular. It holds them binded until bacteria breaks the bonds and then binds the metals and so on to thier own matrix. IO states that they dont use EDTA's anymore, but truely all salts use EDTA's or simular to bind impurities in the raw material mix, the only real salt mixes that dont use these binders are assay mixes which are designed for scientific studies. The concept is that these studies are mostly on testing polution in water systems, having a salt mix that binds those impurities doesnt make much sence? EDTA's dont make a salt mix, mix faster either.

On a personal note: since ALL salt mixes contain certain levels of impurities (a price we pay for not having to pay hundreds of dollar for a bucket of salt mix) having a product such as EDTA in the mix sounds like a pretty good plan to me! I wish they sold it as an additive.

Mike

Back