I am mad!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Damsel13

I can't get my 1200 maxijet to stick to the tank! Has anyone else had this problem? Obviously I can't glue it because I like to experiment with the flow and I might get some more live rock. All suggestions or opinions or both :D would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

For close to the cost of the magnets, you can get a Hydro Korilia PH with magnet grips, it also is a better power head with more flow with a wider pattern IMO

so many great ideas and opinions. Krish unfortunatly can't see the pic of the ones you were using on your tank but I am going to check out the link. And.....I would love to get the Koralia but my husband is predjuiced about bying "anything for the tank" So...for now yes it is slimy I think I need to clean both the tank and the suction cups.
Thanks you all. I will let you know the final outcome. Like if I can get it to stick today.

I've been testing various cheapo Petco/Walmart magnets I've been finding around for a few $$. I got one for $5.00 at Petco the other day for my 1200s... It just barely holds them on, but better than nothing.

I guess advice, double check the magnet strength, make sure you get one that can hold a little weight :)

Good idea mm for a glass aquarium but I would have to clamp it 2in. in from the side because my aquarium is acrylic and just built with sort of little open spaces in the center on each side with an acrylic brace in the center, so when the suction gives out the wire makes it swing out from the wall. :(

More great ideas everyone. This I can conquer. Not up to a fuge or sump yet...:oops: oh well. Like I hear here all the time nothing good happens fast with reef aquariums.
Thanks

You can "regenerate" your suction cups by leaving them in boiling water for a minute.
Also make sure the surface you are sticking them to is completely clean. If any amount of slime or microalgae is behind the suction cup, the algae will let off co2 (light from the other side of the tank wallk keep photosynthesis going behind the suction cup) and eventually pop off the cup.

But the best idea is just to find an alternative. The suction cup will fail again (and again). A sand storm from a fallen power head can cause real damage to your tank's inhabitants.

Best of luck to you

Last edited:
Try getting a piece of acrylic and heat bend shape it then drill thru and attach . It will NEVER fall off and you can move it around somewhat and it's really cheap. You just gotta get a piece of acrylic, try there scrap bins for acrylic scraps. Then later you can try the maxi jet mod and still attach it to that !!

:)

Paul

Try getting a piece of acrylic and heat bend shape it then drill thru and attach . It will NEVER fall off and you can move it around somewhat and it's really cheap. You just gotta get a piece of acrylic, try there scrap bins for acrylic scraps. Then later you can try the maxi jet mod and still attach it to that !!

:)

Paul
Voila! a 1"x6-8" peice of scrap heated and bent,drilled with a few holes, mounted to the powerhead with small zip ties, can be adjustable, last a life time, and be extremely inexpensive.

Back