I built the wrong kind of system

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Spinner

Reef
Hello,

I have been building what i feel is a bad a_ _ SPS system but with all the tank crashes i will not be doing SPS and will go softy and LPS. I have never seen so many hobbiest loose everything so fast and there is no way i want to worrie or deal with that.
In this last month alone i have seen five killer tanks go down with no apparent reason.....these were long time reefer's with nice set ups.
I will finish plumbing my system now that i have the last parts needed so i can take pictures and video. Then i will change what is needed to tone down my build.
I have been thinking about this for awhile and don't believe our hobby really knows yet how to make SPS work long term.

Anyway i am just venting and like alway's.....Life goes on:)

Theres people on here that have had sps tanks up and running for a number of years without tank crashes. You just hear about the crashes more because someones upset about what happened and they look for answers or are just venting anger over what has happened. like if a buisness does you right you may tall 3 to 5 people about it, but if they treat you wrong or make you mad you will tell 10 to 100 people aall about it.

I have lost a bunch of zoas and palys recently and now know it's probly my own fault for adding zoas to my tank without a dip or QT. So now I have to wait to see what makes it and what dosn't. Then maybe start with new ones and make sure I don't make the same mistakes again.

WOW!!!
Are you admitting defeat before you even give it a shot?
Why would you build a Top Fuel dragster to run it down the strip and not even put a stop watch on it? Then pull the motor and replace it with something lesser and then go and race it in a lower class!!

Yeah kinda like that when you put it that way:) Maybe its my age or the fact that i have never seen full tank crashes like this not something i saw back in the day. I am kinda stuck in my thought's with this one since i havn't had a reef for twelve years.
Maybe i should just get the water flowing and see where the energy takes me:)

Take care of everything and do it right, you should'nt have any problems...
Make sure you get healthy specimans, and make sure the sources you get them through don't have any problems.

I haven't had any problems, yet. I don't plan to either
only thing i have had is zoas melting away for no reason.
Take everything slow, get whatever corals you want, and just have great husbandry. Don't get lazy. Even with just regular water changes you'll have a very successful tank.
Don't be scared to go the way you want.
Im on a super budget and Im not afraid that I will lose anything, besides these darn zoas. But no one can figure that out. I just watch everything and learn as I go, keeping everything in check.
Anyway, good luck and I can't wait to see which way you end up going.

Ahh ya whimp!!! LOL

I think the main problem with folks not being able to keep tanks as long as they could in the past is all the lure of the next best miracle thing that you can use and your tank will be Godly. I see folks run some pretty complex things with what seems to be an endless supply of additives, equipment, systems and so on. Almost all of this is designed to take the place of good husbandry, kind of the magic pill type of thing.

Provide the following and you can keep corals alive for decades in your system.

-good flow
-good lighting
-good filtration
-and clean the damm thing once and awhile??? lol

mojo

Im in the same boat as sedro. TIGHT budget! but i do keep up on my w/c schedule at the least. I havent had the funds to replace a burnt out ballast, but with a fellow reefer here, hoping i will be this weekend! Really need to replace the bulbs too, but one thing at a time is all i can do. Id say fill'er up, get it flowing, then make a decision. you have a kick a** custom system that you built for sps keeping. Id give it a try. You dont have to stock it full at first. Put a few in, see how they do. If they do good, add a few more. My opinion. Do what you feel is right.

Taking it slow is another key to the game to. Get used to your tank and your corals. Get an idea on what effects them and how. Be successful even if its on a smaller scale, its much easier to transfer that knowledge and experence to bigger system as time goes by. I see so many folks not even have a tank for a year before they are already moving up in size (not that I mind that lol). its not a race its a great experence.

Mike

Why not try for wat ur plan was?
Idk about getting ALL the coral u wants but try one or two frags and c.
If the plan fails....try again.
Deff dont give up on a race before it begins! Specially if uve built a car!
Good luck and have fun.
-d

Thanks everyone your input helps even though they were not my tanks i still felt bad.......darn i getting soft need to shoot a gun or someting:)lol

Did you really think ppl here were going to say...........
Yea I wouldnt try doing an SPS in THAT SYSTEM!!!
NO one in ANY hobby spends time and $ expecting to fail miserably. They do it for the experience, rewards, relationships, knowledge, ect. ect. ect.

You have a community behind you.
Now get off your pitty pot and put some water in there

And if you cant get it to crash, Just go on over to RC and talk to those knuckle heads.

With so many tank crashes, could it be the lack of oxygen gas exchange. When the winter hits up there, everyone is quick to close the windows, and hibernate in the house. With people being in the house more, and the lack of fresh air turn over, could this cause issues. I have heard about more tanks crashing during the winter, and I know that several things can be the cause, but what issues can be brought along with an increase of carbon dioxide in a home?

With so many tank crashes, could it be the lack of oxygen gas exchange. When the winter hits up there, everyone is quick to close the windows, and hibernate in the house. With people being in the house more, and the lack of fresh air turn over, could this cause issues. I have heard about more tanks crashing during the winter, and I know that several things can be the cause, but what issues can be brought along with an increase of carbon dioxide in a home?

+1 i agree. If the tank is in a room that has a window open say from may till september and closed during the other months, i would say there is a SLIGHT increase in having that tank crash. Its just like sitting in a car smoking a cigarette with the windows up, open a window and the passengers are instantly happier

Is that why everyone keeps telling to roll down a window...lol
Yeah feel better today havn't worked on my system in a month time to get back at it this weekend:)

Thanks everyone!!!

Lol well if your like my dad whos in his 60s rolling a window down while hes smoking.. And he says eh put that wjndow up its cold! Lol

I have yet to fully enjoy this hobby and have many periods of regret. one option I considered before buying the new 300dd was to just sell it all instead! but, I'm and addict! and the thousands are fyling out the window again.

so stop crying! get that thing wet and for god sakes STOP PAINTING EVERYTHING ( its prob the fumes in the first place)

Back