I Dont Know What To Do?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Juanfer

Juanfer
I used to have 4 tanks and 2 weeks ago I bought a 175 gallon tank to put all together. I have:
- 2 blue tail damselfish.
- 4 blue tangs.
- 1 false perc.
- 1 spotted mandarin.
- 1 yellow tang.
- 1 sailfin tang.
- 1 scopas tang.
- 2 firefish ( 1 of them die 3 days ago).

The problem is with the 3 large tangs. I guess they are fighting by the fact that they used to live in separate tanks, but the sailfin doesn`t bother anybody, the real problem is between the yellow and the scopas tang, they fight all the day and now they are infected with ick, then all of my fish except the spotted mandarin get ick.
I started the " KICK ICK" treatment and I give them garlick everyday what else I could do????
- And then 3 days ago one of my firefish got really stressed and die out of nowhere because nobody was bothering him, 2 days later my other firefish started to get stressed an showed a litle bite in his tail, and I think that the scopas tang is the responsable.

What can I do??????

Sorry to hear about your troubles...Bummer :doubt: I'd talk to SteveS about ich treatment as he has helped many people with it. If he doesn't reply here, I'd send him a pm asking him to check it out or post in his personl forum. Best of luck to ya!:)

I've had a round or two with ich. I tried medication (out of the tank of course) with little or no luck. The best was the freshwater dip. I used a breeder net box once I had the fish separate, and dipped them once a day for about 6-7 days and to my surprise, came back beautifully. I keep my tank a little warmer than most cause I'm scared to death it will return. Ich being a coldwater disease.

I'll look forward to what Steve has to say. He is the Guru!

BJ

BJTenn said:
I keep my tank a little warmer than most cause I'm scared to death it will return. Ich being a coldwater disease.
BJ

Where did you hear that? The higher water temps FWIK actually speeds up the life cycle of SW Ich.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is going to be tough but i would suggest trading in the scopas. He seems to be the real trouble maker. Trade him in for a blue tang.

Good Luck

i would go ahead and take out the trouble maker as soon as possible...the stress is not helping the fish that are sick...do you have any subsrate in the tank,any live rock, corals??? you need to set up a qt tank, possibly two of them if you plan on keeping all of your fish...most of those ich treatments are garbage...check in w/ steve s for some advice on treatments...he will most likekly tell youto go w/ hyposalinity...if not, cupramine

well I couldnt take the scopas tang, the other fish are better though but the three large tangs are in the same situation, I just added a magenta dottyback and he is just doing well, also I dont know what to do with my yellow tail damselfish because they are fighting a lot, could the situation change by adding two more yellow tail damselfish???

i don't think adding fish will resolve the problem...it will most likely lead to more stress or death...how is the ich situation???? do you have a qt tank???? it might seem to go away, but it will return and could result in quite a few deaths, particularly the tangs that are easily susceptible:( ...are they still fighting????do the blue tangs get along???? why didn't you remove the trouble maker????:confused:

the sailfin and blue tangs are not fighting but they have ick, the yellow tang and the scopas still fighting, and the yellow tail blue damselfish still fighting. I have already try to remove the trouble maker but he always hide in the heaviest rock, I dont have a qt tank!!!!!!!
what can I do with the scopas?? I cant take that rock out!!!! is in the bottom of my aquarium

i hate to tell you this, but the ich will most likely come back even stronger....also, you will not be able to keep the tangs together in a qt tank...they will fight in a confined space like that..stress along with ich could send the fish over the edge quick...you have so many fish in that tank that you are going to need several qt tanks to treat the ich...you will most likely start losing tangs to the parasite....also, you will have to leave your tank empty of all fish during the treatment for at least 6 weeks to be on the safe side..1-2 more weeks would be better..maybe you could let a friend keep a couple fish while you treat some of the others...

I am taking the scopas and the sailfin out , and a friend agree to give 2 more yellow tangs instead!!

you are most likely going to have aggression problems still..now the yellow tangs will most likely fight or kill each other...that is alot of tangs to keep in that size tank.. how are the blue tangs doing together????are they blue hippo tangs or atlantic blue tangs??????????

maybe you could go with another kind of fish if you really want to add more:)..is this a reef tank???how is your water quality with that many fish??

It is a 190 gallon reef tank and I have 4 blue tangs (paracanthurus hepatus).
Would I have the same problem????
Its just that in the store where I bought the tangs dont accept them back, they can only trade them for another fish!!!!
for wich other fish could I trade them????

coul I trade them for a naso tang maybe??
or green chromis??
Its just that I want a species that can live in a little school, what do you recomend????

Back