I got a spotted mandarin is my tank enough?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jfingers8

I got a spotted mandarin 4 days ago. I have a 90 gallon tank with 95lbs. of live rock. My tank is 13 months old. I have a little fuge in my sump with 5 lbs. of live sand and 5 lbs. of rubble rock. I seeded my tank with 400 pods yesterday. Will he be ok or do i have to do more?

Sounds pretty good assuming your water is fine. The best way to tell, is to look into the tank with a flashlight after lights out. The rocks should be crawling with stuff.

400 pods is just a after dinner snack for a mandarine. I would have seeded then waited for the pods to populate the system. If you dont see a bloom in the next couple of weeks then you will need to do more.

Don

what i do notice at night time is it looks like little shrimp swimming everywhere and im sure they is alot more that i just can't see.

It takes more than live rock. It takes a healthy population living in the live rock. The Mysis shrimp you see won't be what the Mandarin is after for the most part. It'll be after the small copopods barely visible to the naked eye and after only 13 months (unless the rock was very mature) the food supply may not be what you think it is. They eat allot and you won't notice the effects of starvation for about 5 months if there is any. Hopefully not. If you haven't done this already, take a magnifying glass and study your rock very closely. You should see small white and black bugs (copopods) everywhere. If they ARE everywhere you may be OK...Rather---The Mandarin may be OK. In my opinion the Spotted Mandarin is one of the most difficult fish to keep because of their food source. That and the Pipe/Needle Fish but people buy them because they are so cool looking...

If you have a refrigum... seed that with with copopods. A good souce for copopods will live chaeto in an established reefkeepers refrigum. I'd check this site to see if anyone is giving any away. I converted an old wet/dry onto a 2 chamber refrigim, one side for rubble rock and the other for the chaeto. After jhust a couple weeks I saw pods all over the place, they work their way into the main tank, and my spotted mandrian is fat and happy. Good luck!

Hey Guys Dont Mean To Butt In But What Are They Called In The Bottle That Is/ I Should Seed Mine Some More Cant Over Do It Right? Pm Me About It Dont Want To Take Thread !ohh Good Luck On The Little Bugger

.hsif a uoy sa tsuj meht etamilcca ot erus eB .moolb a rof hctaw dna emit a ta elttil a esU .elttob a ni emoc ehT

lmth.xedni/moc.sdopnaeco.www//:ptth .ereh meht teg nac uoY:)

Back