I have a question about my aquarium!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bubbles07

Today after i got off work i went to check on my tank. I noticed this white film, so i paniced! I went online and serched what it could be. I ended up testing my water and everything came out perfect! Could it be salt build up around the rim of the tank? Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

Is the film up at the top of the tank on the water-line?
If so, it can be salt, or algea. I have a sort of film that is around the rim where my mag float will not reach. I just scrape it when I do water changes.

Is it on the surface of the water or just on the glass on the surface of the water? Let us know...Also, how is the flow at the surface of your tank? Do you have good surface aggitation? :)

ya its just on the ends around the tank near the glass. and the flow at the surface id say is good. its a ten gallon tank with one of those hanging filters, i'd say there is a good amount.

Another question im starting to notice a change in color in the sand? turning like a redish brownish color is some spots, ill be going and getting a shrimp today for some cleaning and to have a few brissle worm snacks.

the redish brown on the sand is cyano bacteria. they love low flow areas try pointing a powerhead in that direction to see if it goes away. as for the white film if its on the water surface that means you dont have good surface agitation

How is your tank set up. Is there a chance that you have bubbles in your tank? The only reason I ask is because if their are bubbles as the bubbles come to the surface they grab undissolved proteins and bring them along with it to the top. Where the proteins will sit and accumulate.

the redish brown on the sand is cyano bacteria. they love low flow areas try pointing a powerhead in that direction to see if it goes away. as for the white film if its on the water surface that means you dont have good surface agitation

ones i get a shrimp will they take car of the sand?

They sell an attachment for HOB power filters. It is pretty much a tube that is plugged on the bottom, it is bigger than the filters tube, slips over the filter tube. It sits at the water line, that way you are skimming the waters surface. The only problem I see with them is it doesn't mix the watercolumn very well, being that it dumps and draws water from the top. But it will help with skimming the top. Pretty much is like an over flow box.

If it is a newly set up tank I would say the reddish brown stuff is more than likely a diatom bloom. But with a little more flow down there and a little syphoning with some airline tubing it can cured a lot easier than a cyano outbreak.

everything is pretty much a guess unless you can show us some pictures of your FTS ,filter, top of the tank etc

i only have a cell for pictures so bare with me.

Attachments

• sand.jpg
    sand.jpg
    76.8 KB
  • ugly sand.jpg
    ugly sand.jpg
    38.2 KB
  • melvin.jpg
    melvin.jpg
    56.1 KB
Last edited:
it will be 3 weeks this weekend. i've noticed it starting to sploch on the back glass.

How much trouble is this? can i stir the snd a little bit?

HELP

Back