I Have Declared War!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bainic

It only cost $20 honey!!
I'm finally sick and tired of the aiptasia in my tank! So after cleaning my glass and vacuuming, I decided to do something about it. DIE AIPTASIA!!! :evil: I mixed up a batch of Kalk paste and used a syringe to force feed as many as I could locate. Hopefully it'll only take one or two more preimmptive strikes to irradicate the enemy!! I'll keep you guys and gals posted on how it goes.

kill em all you want they will just keep coming back, there are many many more in your tank than you can ever find to kill, there for never getting rid of the problem all the way. the only way to do that is to remove their nutrient source by limiting the feeding of your tank.

I battled them for a while with my FOWLR. you know how I got rid of mine? it was soooooo easy!
I SOLD THE TANK!!!!

good luck man..

Matt

I had some for a while but the pepermint shrimp (note not all pepermint shrimp have an appetite for them) ate them... and I haven't see one in a year, but now I have mangas in their place. I do have to use kalk paste on them. I guess you win some, you lose some.....

I use peppermint shrimps and pickling lime (same as Kalk paste) to control mine. have not seen the aiptasia for awhile. if you starve your tank the peppermint will ever eat bristle worms.

don't know if this is feasible, but one sure way of getting rid of them is to place the rock in a tub of saltwater with no light for several wks. No light, no aptaisa.

Surf and Fire - I have also heard that peppermint shrimp work, but not all the time. Sort of selective appetites, you gotta get the right one.

NC2WA - Well if I didn't have any corals, mushrooms, or zoos, that might be worth a try, but it would be too much of a PITA to try to remove all the above from their current rocks.

I'm just hoping that the Kalk paste method works, I've heard lots of opinions on it, and read lots of other methods of getting rid of aiptasia, all of which have been said to work and NOT to work. Wish me luck!

I bought 6 peppermint shrimp for my main display...they got rid of the ones in my display and then I put a large aipstatia in the refuge as I didnt want it in the display.... two weeks later it was gone....I couldnt figure it out....but then I realized that there were 3 asterina stars on the rock it was on ...... that was when I figured out asterina stars eat aipstatia....and big ones at that.....lol I was excstatic....

Dave,

Like I said "if it were feasible". I did think it would, but I thought I would let you know a sure thing. A coppperband butterfly loves eating aipstaia. But if added a fish is not in the plan, then I use a syringe and warm white vinegar. Shut the little buggers in the orphus and watch them melt like the Wicked Witch of the West. "I'm melting, melting".
:)

Kirk

the owner of my LFS uses a large lantern style 6 volt battery and connects probes to the terminals. one goes in the water and the other to a long metal rod. then he touches each aiptasia with the long rod for several seconds to kill them:badgrin: i dont know whether positive or negative and i dont know what kind of metal either but he swears by it.

Kalk paste works, and yes... if you're determined to rid yourself of them, you can. I had some when I started up my tank that seemed to be multiplying like crazy. Between the kalk paste and a peppermint shrimp, I haven't seen one in a year. Never saw the peppermint working on any, but he's a nice addition anyway!

the battery doesn't get placed in the water, just the rod. i think it was 316 or 308 stainless TIG welding filler rod. i'm sure there would be some electrolysis going on because there were bubbles forming on the rod, but i dont think a significant amount for the short amount of time it is in the water.

Say hello to Mr. Threadfin, aka Auriga butterfly. If you can get one that is eating aiptasia at the LFS, he will eradicate your problem. I had one in my 80 gallon, took him 3 weeks, but he eliminated every nuisance anenome within 3 miles!!!!
DSCN0477.JPG

Last edited:
sir the time is now we have to use the strike..... press the red button sir.

Aptasia Be Gone!!!

Salsaking here! saw your issue and here is a cheap answer to your problem!

COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY Fish! Get one and you will rid your tank of aptasia in about two weeks! I had hundreds in a 100 gallon system! gone in two weeks!

Good Luck!

Salsaking here! saw your issue and here is a cheap answer to your problem!

COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY Fish! Get one and you will rid your tank of aptasia in about two weeks! I had hundreds in a 100 gallon system! gone in two weeks!

Good Luck!

The only problem with that is finding one that is eating aiptasia before you buy him, then you have the problem of keeping him alive afterwards. They are very efficient tho, I'll grant you that. I just haven't had any success keeping them alive for more than a year in any of my systems.

Agree with charlie. Over the 10yrs I've been in the hobby, I've had 3 CBB and only had one that last over a year. I was able to get it to eat PE Mysis shrimp. Most die due to malnutrition (i.e, hunger strike).

If you can find a CBB that is eating prepared food in a LFS, then I may consider get one; otherwise, save your money.

Berghia Nudibranchs... my friend had some horrible aptasia, the nudibranchs did marvelous work. Now I'm trying to "inherit" them for my tank.

Back