I have the best job!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BlennyBabe

Rachel
Ok so I dont have the best job as of january 1, but I thought I would share some pictures from my last day at Point Defiance. Stupid layoffs...

I was a temp aquarist and I worked primarily in the South Pacific area of the zoo. Ive been there on and off since 2006.

I take care of the corals, tropical fish, sharks, and seahorses.

This is my favorite part of the whole aquarium and unfortunately, its not on public display. This is our coral farm.
Its roughly 1000 gallons.
753606364_V2q9H-L.jpg

There are two jewel tanks on top (my least favorite part. Its poorly plumbed and has weak lighting. it also ends up being more of an observation area instead of a showcase like I think it should be)
The main tank is about 750 gallons, with two sumps adding up to around 1000.
THis tank has some zoas taking over. These came from seattle aquarium

753606300_5ZveA-L.jpg

This tank has some gorgonians and other corals that need heavy feeding. It also needs to be cleaned...
753606310_Kvj9f-L.jpg

skimmer
753606535_tfbYq-L.jpg

Make-up water for changes and RO/DI reservoir for top off.
753606559_7fJRH-L.jpg

back of the closed loop. I think we need more flow, but this is the best we have at the moment.
753606607_3eNRg-L.jpg

753606652_bcNma-L.jpg

From the top, looking back at the jewel tanks
753606467_qikLS-L.jpg

More coming

Some top down shots
753606383_PAjhh-L.jpg

This cup coral is about the size of a placemat
753607515_FAQSR-L.jpg

There is a large rack in the center of the tank that the larger corals are sitting on.
753607538_U8Wvv-L.jpg

753606423_ZmxRW-L.jpg

753607331_JzqBy-L.jpg

These are on the bottom, about 2.5 feet down
753607383_eyzvy-L.jpg

753607352_GDoee-L.jpg

753607526_fhoY3-L.jpg

753607484_DXwQw-L.jpg

753607467_9uqzs-L.jpg

These are all from some corals growing on the wall. The acro grows up and then when we clean the overflow and the water level changes, some of it dies.
753607501_4XzEN-L.jpg

And why arent we able to see this. That the best looking part of the zoo i have ever seen. Makes me want to go right now. Well atleat tomorrow I am only about 20mins away.

There was plans to add a large stony reef into the wall behind the shark exhibit. The coral farm was set up to grow out some coral and familiarize the staff with coral care and propagation. Well due to funding the tank project has been shelved for the time being, but the coral farm is still going strong. Some of the corals are getting huge and we dont quite know what to do with them.

I wish we could at the very least put up a glass window to the behind the scenes area, so you could peek back there, but the staff likes their privacy.

WHAT i didn't know they had this!! I managed the food court area for more than a year and would go to the aquarium everyday!

There was plans to add a large stony reef into the wall behind the shark exhibit. The coral farm was set up to grow out some coral and familiarize the staff with coral care and propagation. Well due to funding the tank project has been shelved for the time being, but the coral farm is still going strong. Some of the corals are getting huge and we dont quite know what to do with them.

I wish we could at the very least put up a glass window to the behind the scenes area, so you could peek back there, but the staff likes their privacy.

Ummm...hmmm...in need of funding and too much coral that they don't know what to do with... Well, that sounds like a good reason to start selling the coral that needs to be fragged! They should setup a place for purchasing coral in the gift shop. Sounds perfectly understandable and could be very profitable for the zoo. Honestly that solution sounds like a big "DUH!!" to me.

I have been to the zoo many many times and I have never seen more than just a few corals out in the displays and they are usually the run-of-the-mill gorgonian or something. Certainly not some nice acros and monti caps and pagoda that I see in those pics. I'm assuming they are/were saving those to put in a large display at some point, right?

Since the Zoo is a member of the AZA they are not allowed to partake in selling of any animals for any reason. Since corals are technically animals, we cant sell them. I have one because it was thrown away after some routine pruning. "away" in this case was my bucket. Its to stop people from say, breeding sea otters, and selling them for profit. Its all very technical and there is a lot of red tape.

We have discussed doing a fundraiser in the past, to generate the funds necessary to acquire some one of a kind specimens, or even some unusual fish, but that too is difficult. I would like to work out some sort of partnership with PSAS or something to get a frag swap or auction to benefit the zoo. While I was working there, I couldnt do it, but now that Im not a current employee..... the wheels are turning here... :)

They are even very hesitant to accept donations. Its meant to discourage people from getting hard to keep species, or ones that will get too large, and keeping them for a time, and then dumping them at the zoo. We have done some from responsible private donors, but like I said, its nothing but red tape.

Back