I have the king of all Aiptasia

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BlennyBabe

Rachel
I just measured an aiptasia that I have growing in a corner of my tank. He is streaching for the light and is over five inches tall. Hes about as wide around as a dime. Anyone else have large aiptasia?

Im also looking for anyone in the area thats breeding berghia nudibranchs. I need about a hundred... J/K but I do need some. I think Im going to start breeding them. I probably have two pounds of aiptasia in my tank. (assuming you could take them all out and weight them minus their water weight.) I have a serious infestation. My gramma eats my pepermint shrimp, even the biggest ones and Im too nervous to get a copperband (they are so fragile, and I love my feather dusters).

Wow that is a biggum. I would leave it and just concentrate on the smaller guys.

Mike

I used to have mojanos as bad as your aptasia sound. They looked like a carpet in large areas of my tank. I did mass murdering sessions every few months with joes juice and finally got the upper hand. Now I do it about every few weeks and only kill a dozen or so. Good Luck!

I have used kalk before. It did kill some of the aiptasia, but the ensuing pH spike killed my acros. Now there arent any acros so I guess I could try again and go slowly.

I have just injected vinegar to the aiptasia that grew with my zoanthids. I have done this before it works fine.Just make sure you inject just enough so as not to affect nearby corals.

Joey

BlennyBabe - that does sounds like a big one! I have the king and queen of all bubble algae - the bigger one is almost the size of a golf ball, and the other is a tad larger than a ping pong ball.

Good luck with the elimination! Let us know how it goes!

i have one about the same size and have had it for about 3 years.ive tried to kill it many times,it laughs at joes,and kalk.i kinda like it now,even my berghia wont touch it

Here's a link for you http://www.seaslugs.com

I have used these guys in the past. They only sell adults. They work awesome. They take awhile to work, and you may never see them, but in a few months you won't have one aptasia in site! They will then sadly die off without food, unless you can catch one and give them to a fellow reefer. Interestingly, you will start to see them more out in the open once the aptasias are gone. They are expensive, but you really don't need that many of them. Just be sure to follow their acclimatizing instructions and their recommendations on how many you will need. Cover up any powerhead intakes as well. You may have to check the website daily, until they become available because they are usually out of stock.

--Good luck

--Good Luck

Back