I have two questions about RO/DI and filters.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
One how do i know when i need to change the filters on my RO/DI system?

Two i will be setting up my 75 gal tank in about two weeks, so im starting to look into buying what i need. Right know i have a 29 gal tank with a HOB Bak Pak skimmer/bio filter.

What would you reccomend for a larger tank? I dont want to drill holes in my tank nor do i know how to or have the toold to. But i dont want big ol filters hanging off the back of it because i dont think this tank will have a light fixture on it to hide the filter like my 29 gal. But the Bak Paks are great just put them on and turn them on and your ready to go.

Any suggetions on what to use as a filter and skimmer?

I may take down my 29 gal and put the live stock in there in the 75 gal, could i just use the bak pak from the 29 and maybe add another bak pak? How well would that work?

you dont have to drill. you can allways use a hob overflow and have a small sump in the stand. put all the heaters and skimmers in there and yiur tank looks nice and clean

One: get a TDS meter, they're cheap and you can test your RO/DI water. When the TDS starts to raise, then it's probably time for new filters. The amount of time (how many gallons) your filters will last depends on a few things, i.e. the TDS reading of your tap water, and the efficiency of your RO/DI unit.

Two: get an overflow box, throw that 29gallon in your 75's stand (if it will fit) and get an in sump skimmer (I've got a modded ReefOctopus NW-150 and really like it) and a return pump. Sumps are nice because they allow the bulk of your equipment to be hidden (if nothing else). If you're going to stay with a HOT skimmer how about this thread-
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37175
There are a couple of people on there that really seem to know what they're talking about when it comes to skimmers.

Tds is used to monitor the membrane and di resin. Pressure and or flow rate is used to monitor pre filters. If you have chloramine in your water then you need a test kit to monitor the carbon, it will go bad long before the first two prefilters if chloramines are in your water.

Don

Back