i know it gets old but protein skimmer advice is needed

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

xscaper

I have waited toolong as it is for new protein skimmer, I am currentlyusingred sea berlin Xl, I have 90 gl with 30gl sump being occupied by only a rock trickle box and 2 mag12 in it, 1 for return and other for sea swirl. I think I have enough space for a rather large foot print if not i can shift some things around. I hear both good and bad things about deltec, ets, euroreef, so its hard to make a decision. it doesnt have to be one of those, those r just some I have researched.
I have 60% hard corals and remaining zoos and mushrooms.any advice on which skimmer to buy would be greatly appreciated please let me know if you need any more info. dont know if it matters but I have 2 400 watt halides....thank you much....George

I am a fan of MRC skimmers (My Reef Creations). For a tank that size you could use the MR1. Deltec makes the best skimmers out there, but you pay more for them. I do not have hands on experience with EuroReef's skimmers, but they seem to be built well. They use a venturi method where MRC uses beckett nozzes. It comes down to preference.

beckett skimmers are a waste in my opinion,
no comparative dwell time, complete energy hogs, and they are loud.
you need an external high pressure pump to run them with any success,
the amount you pay per year in power could pay for an upgrade to a waaay better skimmer.

i dont know what your budget is, but here are a couple that would be great for your 90g;
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ5333

http://www.protein-skimmer.com/shop...d=47262&merchantid=446996&shop=itemdetail.asp

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ER1417

I would have you look at the new ATI bubblemaster 160. Its just now becoming available i hear. I recently bought the BM-250 for my 225 and the thing seriously is impressive.

Im considering replacing out my enkemat modded euroreef rs-180 on my 90 to this BM-160. I think it will run about $350.

OR...you can wait a few weeks and possibly buy my rs-180. ;)

The ER works great...but thats how inpressed i am with my new skimmer.

Im not a fan of becketts either. They work great but IME need fiddled with too often, besides being loud and sucking juice.

beckett skimmers are a waste in my opinion,
no comparative dwell time, complete energy hogs, and they are loud.
you need an external high pressure pump to run them with any success,
the amount you pay per year in power could pay for an upgrade to a waaay better skimmer.

Although you maybe justified with saying this with certain manufacturers, the MRC line (beckett) is not loud at all and produces much more skimmate than most venturi models I have encountered. And, yes, you are correct with a recirculating skimmer you will use more electricity than that of a single pump skimmer, however I like to sometimes look at what is going to work best for my tank. The model I recommended (MR1) is a single pump skimmer which I used for a couple years and never heard it over the water noise of the tank.

venturi models I have encountered.

not really talking about regular venturi models, im talking about needle wheel and mesh wheel skimmers...
but, on the subject, i think even tunze regular venturi skimmers will smoke beckett skimmers, at about 1/10 of the power consumption.

the bottom line is i've never seen ANY name brand beckett compare with a similar sized/powered needle wheel skimmers, and i've owned m.r.c. and p.m. beckett skimmers that were driven by high pressure external pumps.
also, comparing them is kinda like comparing apples and oranges, both types of skimmers work completely opposite of eachother.
but i just feel the nw/mesh skimmers works better, more predictable and stable foam head, less power, less noise, less money.

the ATI bm160 is going to be an excellent skimmer that would be great for your tank, but i didnt mention it because it's not available yet,
and if i hear one more time from the manufacturer that we will have them in one more week, im going to puke....

also, the bk mini skimmers are coming to usa this summer, that would be the the pie in the sky best that you could get for your tank.
and dont forget the new korallen zucht skimmers as well, coming this summer too. totally freakin' amazing....(bk mini pic 1, kz skimmer pic 2)
both between $600-$1000 depending on model

Last edited:
not really talking about regular venturi models, im talking about needle wheel and mesh wheel skimmers...
but, on the subject, i think even tunze regular venturi skimmers will smoke beckett skimmers, at about 1/10 of the power consumption.

the bottom line is i've never seen ANY name brand beckett compare with a similar sized/powered needle wheel skimmers, and i've owned m.r.c. and p.m. beckett skimmers that were driven by high pressure external pumps.
also, comparing them is kinda like comparing apples and oranges, both types of skimmers work completely opposite of eachother.
but i just feel the nw/mesh skimmers works better, more predictable and stable foam head, less power, less noise, less money.

the ATI bm160 is going to be an excellent skimmer that would be great for your tank, but i didnt mention it because it's not available yet,
and if i hear one more time from the manufacturer that we will have them in one more week, im going to puke....

also, the bk mini skimmers are coming to usa this summer, that would be the the pie in the sky best that you could get for your tank.
and dont forget the new korallen zucht skimmers as well, coming this summer too. totally freakin' amazing....(bk mini pic 1, kz skimmer pic 2)
both between $600-$1000 depending on model

I'm liking the KZ, it is a beckett of sorts. I think you should get a thicker body for that amount of money but the design seems to be the best of both worlds.

Don

from what i understand it's a proprietary modification they do to the injector, just looks similar to beckett because they use the housing, then glue it together so you cant see inside...it's a secret! ...lol

from what i understand it's a proprietary modification they do to the injector, just looks similar to beckett because they use the housing, then glue it together so you cant see inside...it's a secret! ...lol

:lol: not really I already figured it out. I'll let it out when I build my new skimmer. Got 2100lph with a mag9 hashed together in a bucket.:)

Don

The ati bm-160 is available now. tough to get your hands on though. . call ed at km associates and he has one left not spoken for he could have you here in two weeks. Reefgeek has them in as well.....but he is waiting for appropriate boxes to ship them in or something

Id take that one of eds but im not quite ready. I preordered one to have in one month.

My mr-2 sounded like a tank in comparison to my er's and other needlewheels

:lol: not really I already figured it out. I'll let it out when I build my new skimmer. Got 2100lph with a mag9 hashed together in a bucket.:)

Don
that sounds sweet :)

Last edited:
Hmmm - not sure how your MR's are setup, but I use my MR1 still, but with a MAG18 due to bioload and on my Reef tank I have an MR-2R with a MAG5 feed pump and a BL 55HD for a recirc pump. Granted the MR-2R is in my basement, but when I am down there I can not hear it over the sump noise. Performance blows away anything else I have used.

Don

figured it out?? lol....well then dont hold back, let the world know..:D

im still waiting on the eheim 1255 (300gph) that pulls 1200lph of air for a little over 20+ watts

The ati bm-160 is available now. tough to get your hands on though. . call ed at km associates and he has one left not spoken for he could have you here in two weeks. Reefgeek has them in as well.....but he is waiting for appropriate boxes to ship them in or something

Id take that one of eds but im not quite ready. I preordered one to have in one month.

My mr-2 sounded like a tank in comparison to my er's and other needlewheels

that sounds sweet :)

ed already has them??? now im pissed!!!!!:evil::evil::evil:

Skimmer opinions are all over the place. People who use Beckett skimmers generally like them. People who dont, are generally happy with non Beckett skimmers.

Ive never used a Beckett skimmer because of their drawbacks...
Expensive to run ,(need pressure rated pumps to feed them which uses alot of electricity), and the are touchy to dial in right. They also have very little dwell time. Dwell time is the contact time water has with the bubbles. Some proteins require a lengthy contact time in order to be removed.

Do a search for a thread titled "Skimming 101", I believe its in Anthony Calfo's forum.....LOTS O' INFORMATION.....

I have a Euro-Reef CS6-2 (Older model) on my 58 gallon tank, (75 gallons total volume), an H&S A150-F2001 recirculating skimmer on my 120.

The ER is not a re-circ skimmer, the H&S is. I dont have full load in the 120 yet, so I cant give a fair assessment of its performance, but I do like its design and how its skimming thus far. Re-circ skimmers provide a much longer dwell time, which is their appeal. I have the H&S plumbed to be fed by my drains, so no feed pump is required. Kinda of a PITA to plumb up properly, but definately worth it, as the rawest water possible is fed to the skimmer from the overflows and I dont use any electricity on a feed pump.

BTW, this skimmer was cheaper than a comperable re-circ ER.

Nick

figured it out?? lol....well then dont hold back, let the world know..:D

im still waiting on the eheim 1255 (300gph) that pulls 1200lph of air for a little over 20+ watts

I see the 1255 NW at all the UK sites. I think their holding back on the US model for some reason. Any Idea why?

Don

Back