I know you can help me with this...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Caesar777

THE FROGURT ISALSO CURSED
Anthony, is there any sort of topical or dip-solution type of painkiller for fish? Long story short, my new baby hepatus tang was attacked by my little emerald crab. Caught the fight in time, within a minute of the little fella getting caught, but he's hurt--not mortally, necessarily, as no major organs were hurt, just skin and a bit of muscle. Basically, it's like this:

I brought home a baby blue tang today. Dime-sized. He swam around the tank for a sec after acclimation, then hid in a zoo rock (branchy, so among the branches, not the zoos). The emerald crab was sitting in there--also small, dime-sized--and I watched it for a sec but it did nothing but sit there nibbling its mouthparts as it does all day, so I paid no mind. Went off to get some mice out of the freezer for my snakes, came back to find the crab clutching the tang, eating him! Long story short, got the tang away from the crab, put the tang in my in-tank fuge (low-flow and safe), killed the crab.

Now, I had also grabbed some cyclopeeze and offered a tiny bit to the tang. He ate it, despite his caudal fin being nibbled down to the muscle (little fin left, and some is spiked upward, bent or twisted), as well as some bites on his lower back. The stress is obviously enormous, and that alone might kill him. But he did eat.

Point is: obviously good water quality (I have no nitrate, phosphate under 0.2, nice calc/alk, good circulation, good skimmer--AquaC Remora Pro), good food quality (Cyclopeeze, seaweed sheets, etc.), and feeding often are the tlc he needs. Hopefully he can make it past the initial stress--he looks alright but obviously still stressed, breathing fairly quickly but not extremely. But is there any way I can dip him in some solution that would act as a painkiller, or something that could help him initially with these grotesque wounds? His wounds look very painful, poor thing.

Wow! Good thing you caught him befor he was chopped up, I have never herd of a painkiller for small fish, I would suggest some selcon or a garlic suppliment to help him recover, good luck

studies have shown that very few fishes feel pain like we do my friend. Very few truly.

What this fish simply needs is superb water quality, fatty foods, and a lot of vitamin E (seriously).

Soak food with a product like Boyd's Vita-Chem... your will be amazed at how fast they heal. This is what we do for rapid fin regeneration in fishes for shows that get fins torn during moves and need to heal in days.

For this tang... see it it will eat spirulina wafers (Hikari brand or the like) and soak the discs in vita-chem

Please do post your results too!

BTW - wounds can be dressed by making a waterproof ointment of antibiotic mixed into titanium oxide (white sunburn cream for the nose, you recall... old fashioned?)

do read the mfg info or the bottles my friend... they are not even remotely related. Selcon is fish oil/lipds (HUFA rich) while Vita-chem is largely vitamins.

Both are incredibly beneficial. Use together to get the healing/nutritive fats and vitamins.

awesome thanks! not to jack this thread but heres a pic of the tang so u can see what im dealing with, ill post some pics when hes back to normal
(hes been in my tank for 2 weeks and already looks better)
DSCN5363.jpg

Back