I love my new light!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dmcbride

I just have to say I got my Kessil A150W LED and I LOVE it. I can not believe how well it lights. I was skeptical that one would light my 33 hex, but it does and very very nicely. Of course I have a couple shadowy areas, but nothing I wouldn't expect with a hex. :dance:

If you only knew my plight you wouldn't threaten with bands... lol. As you will see I hardly ever if never post pics.. why might you ask. I live in BFE, seriously. Like dial-up only BFE. So I don't do anything that will take half my day and I can't post from work. As soon as I get my new phone in August there will be some. As for my light here is a link to what I have. Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution It is soooo fantastic. Puts off no heat and uses hardly any electricity. My poor little fish and corals were living in a cave before this light. Perfect for my Hex. I can now even add in some easy sps. My alk is about perfect now, just want to get my ph a touch higher, but otherwise everything is looking good. I thought this tank would be a FOWLR with a few mushrooms and zoanthids forever. Now it looks like it is gonna be great. Happy dance.

I'm glad you like your Kessil. I've had one on my 20 long for about 5 months now. I agree that it's spread is pretty wide. I think what i like most about it is it's color blending. You don't experience any sort of disco or spotlighting that you see with AI Sol's or like my DIY fixture.

I do get a little strobe light effect at the bottom just because it is a hex and the opening is small so all water returning into the tank ripples most of the top water.... but it is not enough to make me feel sick when I look at it or anything lol, just feels like I am snorkeling, and since we keep getting snow, I pretend that a lot. I do still love it and we'll see come next month's electric bill how much my husband loves it too. The fact that it puts off like no heat will also be of great help this summer. Maybe tomorrow I will see about putting a pic up. However, I am self conscious of my tank. I love it and enjoy it a lot. But, I don't want to end up like the guy in high school who thinks I have a beautiful girlfriend until my friend says she's not and then my feelings have forever changed. lol

LOL i like your analogy there. I wouldn't be ashamed though. I'd like to see your tank with the Kessil.

So I can not get a good pic with my camera that doesn't look like I am using my tank to land airplanes in my living room. But, you get the general idea. It is much better in person. and one of my Yellow Eye Combtooth Blenny, just because I love her. Sorry I know they are small, but like I said dial-up...... 26 painful kbs

42948d1329972824-i-love-my-new-light-09032010e-mail0001_18.jpg

42949d1329973134-i-love-my-new-light-09032010e-mail0001_16.jpg

09032010e-mail0001_18.JPG09032010e-mail0001_16.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it is just my dial up, but it looks like the pics don't show in the post on my end, just links for them.

They are tiny. Weight less than a pound I'd say. Good quality construction. No on/off switch, but they probably figure most people have them on a timer like me. When I was researching them that was the only complaint i could fine. Figured if that was the worst then bring it on. lol.

Oh how i love you dial up...... now I have Echolalia. Anyways here is a review on marine depot from someone on PAR testing.
Comments: I have a 137G 60/24/22 Custom Reef Tank. My buddy had a Kessil and Let me run Par tests on, I was Shocked with the results. 50 Par on the Bottom and 400 on Top. Kessil Recommends 5-6 for full coverage, ended up going with Three of the 10Ks. The 10K was a Little too White for me so I added 4 Reefbrite Strips, 2 50/50 and 2 Solid Blue. I love the Color now. Par is 100 on Bottom and 400 top with everything running. The Kessils are Super Quite. Also very Easy to set up a Sunrise and Sunset with a Controller. Most Important, The Color Septrum is Correct. I did a Ton of Reseach and Tests, Kessil is the Best light for the Money! Must Buy

THey are awesome. I personally just upgraded my lighting to include 3x100w multichip LEDs and 72x3w Phillips Luxeon Rebels, and 4x3w OSRAM super red LED. I love them. I was also looking at the Kessil and decided to buildmy own.

how hot do the run? The kessils that is.... kinda like par38s but not lol..
I would think u would need one every 8" to get good par and coverage...

We are seriously considering putting one of these over our 34g Solana. From everything we have read we would probably use the A150W Sky Blue as it seems most say they run more blue than what they are rated.

honestly depending on the size of tank they really only recommend one about every two feet of tank space. I am not sure on the PAR for it, but I'd be curios. Honestly, I get totally lost on all the light info. All I know is it is working awesome in my tank and everything has good color.

TAT-2Z, I am wanting to retrofit my 14gal biocube to LED and thinking of doing it myself. Any suggestions? I was looking at some kits on line and it looks simple enough. I figure if I could change out valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and normal vehicle maintenance I should be able to follow some directions for lighting...I hope lol. But, would like some suggestions from someone who has built their own.

We are seriously considering putting one of these over our 34g Solana. From everything we have read we would probably use the A150W Sky Blue as it seems most say they run more blue than what they are rated.

Mine is the sky blue. That is the most popular. The ocean blue is more like a straight actinic compact bulb. As you can tell form my posts I LOVE it and say do it, you won't regret it. I almost got the ocean blue but decided to go with the sales person's suggestion. I think the ocean blue would be too blue after getting my sky blue

Last edited:
It isn't difficult. I am sure that with your mechanical skills you could knock it out. But if you need some help let me know

It isn't difficult. I am sure that with your mechanical skills you could knock it out. But if you need some help let me know

I think I am going to do it and hope for the best. I'm going to get a pre-soldered kit since I haven't soldered anything in over ten years and hate to find out I am too rusty and mess something up. I've got to do something before summer as the compacts are way to hot. Today my tank was at 80 degrees. I had to shut the door to the room and open a window to get it down to 76. My other tank that has the kessil is in the living room where the wood stove is and has no problems so hoping LED's would help out on the little tank too. If I get in over my head and need support I'll let you know.

Back