I need a light!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

2rocktank

Hello, I am looking for some info on lighting systems. I am putting together a 40g aquarium and I am trying to find what kind of lighting that I will need to get. some price quotes and/or store website/locations would be helpfull too, cuz what im seeing in prices so far is starting to worry me. Oh and Im wanting to make a FO and an anenome if possible. Thank you.:confused:

Welcome to RF!!! :) As for places to buy lights, I'd check out the sponsor's forums here and see what they have to offer. Also, member's are always selling some of their stuff as well so maybe you can check out the equipment for sale section of this forum to see what's there. As for lighting options, there are many types out there. For fish only setups, you don't need really intense lighting like metal halides or anything like that. All fish really require lighting for is to differentiate between night and day (like it is in the wild) and also to process vitamin D. In a case like this, people tend to go with either power compacts, vho's or T-5's. Where an anemone will be thrown into the equation I think they require a bit more intense lighting than just fish will require. I once had an anemone under power compacts and I honestly can't say if he was doing well as I didn't really have him long enough to tell (maybe 6-8 months). By looking at him, I'd say he looked like he was doing well under the lighting as it grew some etc, but couldn't say for sure. I guess the others will chime in soon to offer their advice on that. Good luck! :)

Thank you for the welcome, I very much appreciat that. Alright, so those are the 4 styles that I seem to see out in the market. I looked around a bit with in the sponsor's links but didnt seem to find as many products for sale as much as say filtration or protien skimmers. Thats not saying I have looked at them all though. It is just that I feel rushed to find one due to me buying 2 live rocks to start the bio cycle. They will need the light as well, am I right in assuming this?

yes they need some light but actually none would be better (if you dont want a whole lot of algae) but very limited lighting cycle is recomended. As for the anemone and this being your very first sw tank i wouldnt even think about getting one... if i were you i would go with a power compact light with that light you can keep some softies such as mushrooms and zoanthids. good luck!

I actually have a 2X65 PC ballast with waterproof end caps that Im not using right now that I could sell ya. I have PC lighting on my 90 and I like the look of it.
Erik

i have 2 different pc light setups that i am sellin by coralife both are 36" one has moon lights the other does not

Wow, you guys are really fast! hehe and thank you all for your helpfull replies. But unfortunately, due to unforseen high costs of this new hobby I was trying to persue, I am sorry to say that I broke down and went back to a fresh water aquarium, where I was able to just use what items I already had. :cry: Maybe in a couple of years once I have these dang cars paid off, I can start over again :oops:

Back