I need a skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
Max dimension of 6"x10" and no taller than 20"

Will be in sump on a 75 gallon tank. Ideas??

OI!!!
wots up, home slice?? :)

so, a skimmer that has a 6x10x20 footprint, for a 75g??

well, the SWC 160 cone fits that footprint, and is $275
also, the SWC bmk 150 would fit, but is 1" too tall @ 21", but costs $195
check em out at reeffiltration.com, luke will totally take care of you.

I just went through the skimmer purchase process and ended up settling with a Reef Octopus NWB 110. I wanted the SWC 160 cone, but couldn't find it anywhere locally, and I was too inpatient to wait. I'm running the NWB 110 on a 65g display with a 20g sump. It's been skimming for about 4 hours and already I can see gunk cleaned out of the tank water. It has a really small footprint (10" x 6.75" x 19.75), plus it is dead silent when running. It ran me $170.99 at Barrier Reef. If I wasn't so inpatient, I probably would have gone with the SWC 160 cone, but I think in my system it would have gone underused as I have a fairly light bio-load.

well, the nwb 110 gets about 250 lph of air injection, and the SWC 160 cone/bmk 150 gets 700lph, so you got less than half the skimming power of either the 150 bmk or 160 cone. IMO, you probably should have been patient for a few days... :(
plus the OTP pumps on the octo arent as good as the atmann pumps on the SWC.
on my 20g, i run the SWC 120 cone that gets 300lph, and things still can get "messy" in my display, so in a 85g system, you will need a fair amount of carbon, water changes, and manual cleaning/scrubbing with an underpowered skimmer.

Last edited:
There are a lot to choose from
I have had good luck with the Vertex, Coralife and Octopus brands

Aquarium Protein Skimmers | Marine Depot

Aquarium Protein Skimmers: Air-Driven, Venturi-Driven, & Turbo-Driven Protien Skimmers

honestly, I would totally avoid purchasing any skimmers from vertex or coralife, octopus are fine(as long as they are properly matched to the size of your system), but obviously, i prefer other skimmers like SWC, bubble magus, aquamaxx, ATI, ATB.

and also, for skimming on a budget, if people were looking at coralife or vertex skimmers, I suggest looking at eshopps,
they are DIRT cheap, improperly rated, and certainly there are better, but, dollar for dollar, eshopps would be better than
coralife, vertex, berlin skimmers, and a few of the other budget brands. vertex skimmers have more power and decent design,
but the resun/king pumps they still use are infamous for being some of the worst on the market, WORLDWIDE, so i just cant recommend them.
as i have said before though, i think the most power and features for the least amount of money still goes to the SWC bmk 150 @ $195,
making it the best sub-$200 skimmer on the market, but if you have like a smaller 20-65g system, look at these prices;

ES-PSK-100 Premium Aquatics - ES-PSK-100 Aquarium Supplies

ES-PSK-150 Premium Aquatics - ES-PSK-150 Aquarium Supplies

but the next model up(psk-200) is where u would just buy the SWC bmk 150 for the same price,
and have a skimmer with about 250lph more air, a bubble plate, and nicer adjustable outlet.
ALSO, with both the SWC bmk 150, and 160 cone, you can easily mod the pump to get 900lph
air injection, by just adding another layer or 2 of mesh in the needlewheel/mesh sandwich,
and even purchase an extended collection cup for like $55.

my general prescription for skimmers is to recommend 600lph of air injection for every 100g of display tank,
so, thats roughly 120 lph air injection for every 20g. this number goes up or down slightly depending upon the presence of a refugium and other filtration, bioload, and feeding habits. I also have a tendancy to overskim nano systems... things can go south too fast, and I liek a little extra clean-up power.

Last edited:
So the SWC150 BMK would rock at the removal of the nasties?? Let me know I'm ready to order!!

How tall is just the body? Trying to figure out how to get it in the sump without tearing the stand apart. Also the diameter of the body?

Back