I need some help please!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
Well one of my friends asked me if i could help him with his tank and i saw it and i have no idea on how he can clean it up it has alot of algae! I think it is Hair algae but i am not sure. He has crabs and snails but it is still there. Could anybody help me?
4xmbg1w.jpg

54bdmyd.jpg

66bipfd.jpg

can you tell us more about the filtration that is being used? are they using RO water for all top up and water changes?

i would also start using an iron based PO4 remover

I had a few rocks that got like that. I just used a turkey baster to blow off the nasty stuff before doing my waterchanges (with ro). and in about a moth it was under control. Scrape the coralline off with a razorblade.
Do you have a cleanup crew? Whats the filtration? Are you useing RO?

Tell us more. What are his water parameters? He could use a lawnmower blenny. Less food, less light.pull each rock out and scrape and scrub

to cleen that up and keep it clean is going to be a long and bumpy road.

No quick or easy solution to that tank.
Export, WC, export, WC, export, WC
AND
quit putting in what ever is being put into that tank.
My Sat .25 cents :D

I don't think a yellow tang is going to be the answer here. I think getting the rocks cleaned and then maybe adding more to the surrent cleanup crew and maybe a foxface or rabbitfish might help. Need to find out whats fueling the hair algae and correct that and then keep the tank clean. Taking those rocks out with the acropora growing on it is going to be very hard to do.

Adding an animal will only increase the bio-load, which would be a bad thing because your ultimate goal here is to limit nutrients. I would start by manually removing as much as you can first. Get to the source of the nutrient problem. I suspect nitrates and phosphates are the issue. Also, look into your water source. If you aren't using RO/DI, you are most likely introducing nutrients from the source water. You'll never beat this unless the nutrient issue is taken care first. ;)

I would also like to hear more information on the tank stats and set-up/equipment. What size is the tank? How long has it been set-up? RO/DI water? What are the water parameters? Feeding schedule? Additives used? Maintenance schedule/water changes?

Everything Nikky asked and also what is the lighting and age of bulbs? Any cleaner crew? On the water changes, how many gallons, percentage and actual frequency of changes, not just the intended dates.

i would check into the makeup water. ro/di, tap? there's something fueling your nitrates. overfeeding, cut down on the feeding. manually scrape off as much of the algae as possible, even remove the rock if you have to, then put back, and do a 20% water change. i would first do water change, stabilize and then get a rabbitfish.

Back