I need your help RF with flow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i know at least i have one, but works horrible :(.
and i have to agree with the type of tank, i think it'd be easy if it was acrylic because then you can drill it and do whatever, but hey if you dont' like the glass one you can later change it :) .

yeah, but a glass tank you can use a razor blade to clean the glass without scratching ;)

You just need a PVC manifold across the back of the tank with outlets in the water. From there you can direct your flow just as easily as any of the guys with an aqrylic tank. As a bonus you never have to worry about a leaky bulkhead in the tank. You don't have to drain the water in the tank to change your plumbing either. There are some benefits to a non-drilled tank.

hmm you know Reed you are totally right.
There's a lot of benefits from having a glass tank that i didn't think about, unless you have your lights hanging for their dear life with some tooth brushes :D :rolleyes:

Hey krish do you have a sump or plan on a sump at any time? I do indeed agree that you shouldn't rely on one source for your flow needs, it always a good thing to have other means, you can always build on what you have also, even the CL just more planning required, like where to put unions or ball valves etc. this way you could start with a basic CL & later add to it or add other water movement devices. If you decide on a sump later & need an overflow check out lifereef.com

Did you get rid of the glass only top and get a fan and get the temp down to close to room temp. ? what is the temp @ now ?

Scooter...Where ya been(LOL) Of course I have a sump.My whole setupis in the members showcase forum under Krish's bahmianinspired 90 gal...Sump and all...

Plack...I removed all of the glass finally, but I'm ot running my lights yet. I'm waiting to see what kind of die off I will get (if any) with my new rock and then I check then temp afterwards..

Since I already have the 2 Seio's I figured for now, I'll just add 2 more, but bigger ones and a wavemaker/controller for them. Seio makes an 1100 gph, 1500 gph, and 2600 gph powerheads, all reasonably priced. I figured I put one in each corner and call it a day for now. What I was wondering is can I have too much flow in my tank? If I added the (2) 2600 gph powerheads, that would give my tank a total of about 7,500 gph. Also, anyone know of any good wave makers/controllers out there and do they kill the life span of a powerhead when using one (seeing that they turn off and on the pumps pretty much every few seconds)? I thought about adding a sea-swirl, but my canopy is too low and I don't think I want to rebuild it again right now...

Back