I really need to talk to someone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

timberwollf

I am hoping someone will read this tonight and is willing to talk to me i have a few questions. i will be around after i post this ..

my problem

i have a 90 gallon bow front took it down had alot of problems well now im back at it and ive added alot of new stuff but am struggling i have a sump, 1/4 chiller, 25w sterlizer, and No idea on how to plumb them togather so now im starting the get depressed ,

but ?

How do you keep your tank cooler during summer months my tank gets up to 85 if i dont and i took all fish out and now want ot run nothing but corals

I put a fan over my sump and it usually will drop the temp a few degrees in the summer. It gets into the 100's where I live and I have never ran a chiller and my tank doesn't ever get above 80 degrees. I also don't have AC!

What type of UV are you trying to hook up?

For a UV unit of that size, it most likely needs about 1200 gph flow through rate. Do you have a pump to run the chiller or UV unit?

i have a 1200 and 1600 but the thing is the 1600 is a pond pump which i was told it would work but not if thats true

you need to google your chiller and see the flow requirements. ihad a 1/4 hp chiller and it was no where near 1600. in fact im running a 1/3 now and i have 700 runnin through it

Am having trouble i have 2 sumps 1 with bio balls other not sure what its called but it has a Sock per say hanging down where the gravity flow goes into it whats the best for the Coral only tank? i bought this steralizer from a Reef Frontier member weeks back and he sent a 900gph with it?

Let's start at the beginning. You have a 90g bowfront, and 2 sumps. What other equipment do you have? what type of system is this going to be? All the information you can give, will make it a lot easier to help.

90g bow, 2 sumps, 1/4 chiller, canister filters, 25w sterlizer, 160 lbs of brand new live sand all i want is a coral tank gave my wife all fish and things whom eat coral, i just bought 3 new magnetic pumps biggest they had. Lighting is a 48' with 2x 10k and im not sure off the top of my head the blue lights and moon lights, thinking if i missed anything

Are you doing any live rock?

i do plan on getting new live rock i have some in buckets with running water over them for the past month with change that from time to time, but im driving 3 hours this weekend to buy new rock tonga is what im looking to buy

So, the water flows from your display tank to sump 1 with bio balls, then to sump 2 with filter sock, then back to display tank?

How large approx are the sumps?

Right now i have nothing running im looking for the best set up i dont want to do this wrong for corals

Alright, this is how I would run it.

I would use sump 1 and ditch the bio balls. I would have the water from the DT go into your sump. Your going to need to buy a good skimmer for your tank. depending on your sump size, you should be able to get a skimmer that fits into your sump.

Once the water travels through the sump, your going to need a pump the can push the water back into the DT. If it's an all glass aquarium with a mag overflow kit, the pump should push between 600 and 900 gph (depending on head loss). This set up will be the basic set up.

Now since your using a UV unit and a chiller, you could change your options a bit. First way is to get another pump and place it in the sump to feed the chiller. On the return line, you would then place your UV unit. This is the route I would take. Option two is to hook it all (chiller and UV unit) to the return line of the DT pump.

Your live rock and sand will take the place of your hang on the tank filter and bio balls.

If you have any photos of the equipment, it might help further.

Last edited:
Back