I really need to talk to someone

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i agree with everything tdgates10 just said.

sell the wet dry sump with bio balls, sell the canister filters.
use the sump with the filter sock imput, measure and figure out how much space you have to accomodate a skimmer, off the top of my head for your size tank, these are a couple skimmers to look at:
http://www.aquacave.com/warner-marine-as150-br-in-sump-protein-skimmer-2331.html
http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-extreme-160-br-protein-skimmer-br-by-coralvue-2199.html
http://www.aquacave.com/octopus-nw-200-needle-br-wheel-protein-skimmer-496.html

for a return pump i would suggest a little less flow that what tdgates suggested.
you should be trying to make the water in your display tank go through the sump only 3-4 times an hour, so you want a pump that will pump like 300-400 gph after pumping up 4 feet from the sump. it is one of the most common mistakes to attempt to make the sump pump accomodate the high flow needs of the main display tank, when in reality your skimmer,carbon/media reactors, refugiums will all work better at cleaning the water if it is moving slower through the sump.
http://www.aquacave.com/ocean-runner-2500-waterbr-pump-by-aquamedic-31.html
http://www.aquacave.com/1260-universal-water-brpump-by-eheim-1611.html

now for flow in the main display, you said you bought a few powerheads??? what type are they and how much gph do they pump? unless they are koralia or tunze i would just box them up and take them back...
for a 4' 90g coral tank, i would look at getting 4 of these pumps right here,
http://www.aquacave.com/koralia-4-power-head-by-hydor-1543.html

each one is 1200gph of flow for only 8.5 watts @ $43.99, and they have a wide flow outlet instead of an outlet that is the size of your finger, which is very unnatural, and potentially harmful to your corals. you want water movement more like natural waves, which these provide.

o.k. now lights...
we need more info,
it's a 48" fixture, you have 2 10k bulbs...what kind??? meatal halide? power compact? t5ho?? what is the wattage of the bulbs?? and total wattage of the fixture??
it's sounding like you have 2 metal halides with either pc or t5 blue bulbs and led moonlights, which if is true, then you will have plenty of light for most corals.

also, if it was me, and i had all this other stuff, plus a lb per gal of live rock, i wouldnt put more than 1-2" of live sand in the bottom... deep sand beds can be problematic and tend to build up nutrients as well as can potentially kill your whole tank in a power outage.
if you were building a new home, would you want your bathroom to be underneath you/all around you? no, you would want to flush that crap away. do so with the skimmer/water changes.

if you were building a new home, would you want your bathroom to be underneath you/all around you? no, you would want to flush that crap away. do so with the skimmer/water changes.

:lol::lol: Great analogy skimmer!! and oh so true :lol::lol:

Not sure I understand why you need/want 2 sumps? You asked about temp in your earlier post. You not going to run the chiller?

im wondering cause nobody said anything about my chiller so far, i want nothing but coral do they need to be 76 degree or? i will get into my light in a sec, which is a power compacts and for pumps i have 2x1200 gph of the koraila's if i need more i will get them. with my Live sand i will have a total of 1.5 inch of sand on the bottom but i also have a 40 pound bag of Crushed coral should i use it or not? also i have a protein skimmer which is Pro Clear Aqautic Systems protein skimmer out of Jacksonville Fl, Its one you place into a Sump with a 800gph built on it.

im wondering cause nobody said anything about my chiller so far, i want nothing but coral do they need to be 76 degree or? i will get into my light in a sec, which is a power compacts and for pumps i have 2x1200 gph of the koraila's if i need more i will get them. with my Live sand i will have a total of 1.5 inch of sand on the bottom but i also have a 40 pound bag of Crushed coral should i use it or not? also i have a protein skimmer which is Pro Clear Aqautic Systems protein skimmer out of Jacksonville Fl, Its one you place into a Sump with a 800gph built on it.

your chiller is the easy part, and all it requires is a small powerhead that will sit in the sump to feed it, some plastic hose to the chiller, and another to return it to the sump. different chillers require different amounts of water to be fed through them, so you will have to check with the manufacturer.

now for the bad news, that skimmer is utter crap, and is pretty worthless for your size tank. im betting it's the model with a RIO 800 rejuvenating venturi pump on it, instead of an 800gph pump. if it is indeed that model, it's only really good for about 20g, not 90g. see the list of skimmers above.

and if you have a power compact light unit, you will be limited to doing soft corals and some lps corals, which will be fine for starting out, but you will most likely want more light fairly soon. as far as pc bulb's go, use the Current name brand bulbs, they are almost twice the power per watt as coralife bulbs.

You can do those, but I would advise to get the system up and running, balance out, get a good skimmer (one that Skimerwhisperer recommended), and then start with some easy lps or soft corals (this will take a while). Get some good test kits to measure your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. I prefer Salifert or Elos kits. You have all the info to get the system up and cycling. During that time READ all you can about reef keeping, educate your self! It will make your life with this hobby much much more enjoyable!

zoanthids, leathers, mushrooms, and some of the simpler lps will do fine under that light.
so you have 2 koralia #4's, prolly fine to start with, but you'll want 2 more.
water flow is vital to maintaining healthy water/tank.

on skimmers, the octo nw-200 is the cheapest i have listed at $220, but for just a little more, you could get the octo extreme 160 ($299.99), which despite it's lower number, is about twice the power as the octo nw-200.
but for 90g softies/lps the octo nw-200 (mesh modded) would be fine.

Back