I think I can, thought I could, so I did

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Race cars used to built out of gas pipe for the roll cage, airplanes were made of wood, cars were made of wood. We learn by doing. I congratulate you on your tank. If Ed and Tom think it will work, I am willing to believe them. If no one took a risk we would be banging rocks together to this day. I love to see people try new things. Keep trying, we didnt get to the moon doing things the same old way. Steve

Thanks all for the input. To put some minds at rest, before constructing I consulted with a local who has over 25 years in the plastics fabricating industry. (he owns a fabricating business). I also consulted with a state licensed engineer. (not some 4 year degree type, an actual mechanical engineer).
I like the comment that "anybody with a table saw and a router thinks they can build a tank". The short of it is they can. Tank building is not nuclear science, its not rocket science either. I firmly believe that someone with the right tools and some good quality input/advice can design and build anything they want. I don't have 10-25 years experience in tank building, only about 4 years. This makes my 4th tank, and about 8-9 counting sumps I've built. I am always interested in learning more ways to do things, but I don't feel that destructive criticism is beneficial.
I have found that in every crowd there is always a few nay-sayers. These types were the ones that cried the world is shutting down on Y2K, what a joke.
As to the comment about not putting anything other than air in the tank, well to late. If you really have over ten years experience in plastics assembly, then you should know better than saying that. There are many tank manufactures out there that use as light or even lighter material for tanks. Tenacor on their 300 gallon (96x24x30 tall) use only 1/2". I have seen this and it has a "belly" on it. I am personally not very comfortable with this. To me it seems that the more you static load the walls of the tank, the lower impact it will take to fracture it. I also looked at some tanks in the Seattle area last weekend that were selling as 150 gallon with only 3/8 fronts. (48x24x24)
Making a statement like "leave the tank building to the experts", I say give it up. Had I talked to you and you sounded like that I would have laughed. A real professional just states the facts, they try to leave the hype out of it.

I will install this tank in my house, not anyone else. It is a fact that my insurance covers this, not yours. As to putting people in the hospital or even possibly killing small children, just drop it. That's just hype and emotion taking over. I don't plan on in-roaching on some ones business line, I am just saving a few thousands of dollars.

Sincerely,
Les Peterson
Kennewick Washington

Last edited:
Les,
I think that your Mechanal Engineer, has never been around BIG tanks before. I bet that when you have your tank at 80+F and salted to 1.025, you will see what "bellying out" really looks like. Your Mechanical Engineer just ran the numbers, and didn't take into consideration the fact that you have an 8' span, one way, and a 44" span the other. Volume, and surface area plays a huge roll in things. Like I said before, good luck. Really! My tank is a tad bigger, and my policy is, You might pay alittle, you might pay alot, but you can be sure that you are going to PAY! Mike

Mike,
Why dont you tell us what your tank is made of and who built it....if you are so intent on being negative in this thread why bother posting at all?
Isaac

I believe that Les has accepted all the resposibility, and knows what he has done. He is installing the tank in HIS house and no one elses. I believe that he at least deserves credit for giving it a try.
Good job Les, let us know how it goes!!! :D

Ok folks lets get this thread back on track. Mike and ponyguy you have made your points and I think everyone knows how you feel. To be honest I dont think the means in which put your point across does anyone any good.

Les what did you make the top out of?? and how big are the openings?

Mike

Mojoreef,
The top is made one piece 1/2" acrylic that was glued/welded down and then the access holes were cut out. Please note, the ends are wrapped/covered with 3/8 black to hide the side view of the overflows.

Please excuse the dirty tank, I didn't have time to clean it before Ed came over to take the pics.

Last edited:
Back