I want to buy a new tank...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Lol nate,

I wouldn't go to that extreme and say your corals will look crappy. Husker, it really all depends on what you're going to be planning on keeping. You could by all means go for 150watt but you're really only going to be able to keep lps and softies, and sps literally right below the bulb within 12" of the surface of the water. That doesnt mean you cant grow them, you'd just have to be strategic about placement and also your aquascaping to enlarge the areas for different corals and your needs.

Plus, 250watters and even 400 watt retros arent that much more expensive than 150's. There was a dude selling 400watt ballast + reflector for 100$ a while ago.

ya i tend to lean towards sps needs, with them met correctly anything else is just down tuning

Ya I more or less was confused by the comment made earlier, I had planned on using at least 2x 250W MH. I want the ability to have what ever I want in the tank whether I do it or not.

I have 1x 150w MW on my 75g and the farther to the sides I place my corals the less healthy they look, not making that mistake again. Hence all the questions :)

I think the ultimate set up if i was doing what your doing is 3 lumatek ballasts with 14k DE HQI phoenix bulbs for growth and color. I run 20K XM's but if i had the $ laying around and the ambition to change everything i m pretty sold on that set up.

Back