I want to use a herbie!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Probably keep it the way it is, try a durso first. If that's not quiet enough, I'll probably work on setting up a Herbie.

OK, I've decided to go over the top with the return and do an official herbie. Two questions: do you even need a standpipe for the main drain, and if so how tall does it need to be? Also, how tall does the backup overflow have to be?

For mine I used a 12" long 1-1/2" schedule 80 for main and a 18" long 3/4" for emergency. My tank height is 20" each piece is a threaded pipe that I screwed into bulkhead so as can be removed for cleaning

Cheers, Todd

You can run the primary drain with no standpipe at all as long as your sump can hold the entire volume of water that is in your overflow box as well as what will drain from the main display through the return line. If you put a standpipe on the primary drain the overflow box will only drain to the top of that standpipe therefore limiting the amount of water draining to the sump. If you use a standpipe on the primary the height is a personal preference thing. The more space you have between the primary and secondary drains = less fidgeting with the gate valve. The secondary standpipe again can be as tall as you want it. Normally people set them where it will start draining as soon as the tank gets full to the point of being uncomfortable.

herbie.gif

Does it matter where the height of the backup is in relationship to the level of the water in the tank?

I would position the bottom pipe closer to the teeth of the overflow to reduce the noise of the water falling down the box but far enough away from the top pipe to be able to initiate a full siphon of the lower pipe. You want the safety pipe far enough away from the top of the tank to be able to initiate a siphon also incase of a partial clog or something.

Also a 90 degree elbow works great to reduce noise on the top pipe. I've always tuned my herbies to slightly trickle down the safety at all times. Helps to keep the water line constant. Dont forget to post pics when you're done lol

Thats if you run the herbie with a constant trickle down the backup. A 90 greatly reduces the noise of this.

Ok cool. I did put an elbow on it, and I like the idea of a constant trickle. I'm playing around with it. Fun! And quiet!

Also a 90 degree elbow works great to reduce noise on the top pipe. I've always tuned my herbies to slightly trickle down the safety at all times. Helps to keep the water line constant. Dont forget to post pics when you're done lol

Here are the pics! Where the 3/4" hole was I had to jog it up with 2 45's. I did put an elbow on the top and allow it to trickle down the top pipe. It's very, very quiet, I love it!

I also used loc-line to come over the top and plumbed it into the bulkhead I previously had drilled in the overflow.

img0201up.jpg

img0202iv.jpg

Tough to see, have to take another picture in the daylight. Basically, used 2 loc-line elbows at the top and just kind of wrapped it around. Turned out really good and doesn't look bad at all.

I'm planning on doing a Herbie on my 40B when I set it up. My overflow will only fit one pipe (700gph box) so my main siphon will be inside with the down turned elbow. My emergency drain will sit right next to the overflow box with an upturned elbow.

I was actually thinking of doing a BeanAnimal style until I realized it was major overkill for a small tank XD

Back