IAP 180 pics and questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

edgerat

Indecisive
Anyone have a 180 IAP tank??? 72x24x24? This is one of the options that I am considering for the new tank but I am worried about bowing in the front pane of the tank. If anyone has experience and can help me with this I would really appreciate it....
Isaac

Hey Isaac, if you are that concerned about bowing you can get a tank built from 1/2" and it won't bow much, or 3/4" and it won't bow at all.

T,
If I am not mistaken the IAP tanks are made from 1/2" from the factory correct????? If they are then I wont worry about it. The almost double the price for 3/4" is daunting.
isaac

Hi Isaac,

I made a 72'' x 30'' tall out of 1/2'' and it had a pretty good bow in the front. But if I only filled it about 24-26'' it stayed pretty flat.

IAP made the new one that is 96'' l x 30'' tall of 3/4'' and no bow at all.

Hope that helps :confused:

Good luck, Chris

HEY CHRIS!!!!! So do you think with the 1/2" and a 24" height I will be ok???? I have heard a couple different ideas on this but I dont really know what the REAL answer is ;)

I guess it depends on how much it adds to the cost? My old 240g was 8' long and 24'' tall and didnt bow too much at all. I do feel safer w/ the 3/4''. Guess I would take all the input, throw it up in the air and pick out the ones you like and believe in the most :rolleyes:

What does IAP say about it?

havent asked them about it. I was all raring to go to buy a tank this weekend and then I thought about the bow issue... now I am slowing down and trying to think about it first..... ;)

I am not sure if IAP builds 180's from 3/8 or 1/2" standard. 1/2" is plenty thick for a 24" tall tank

One of the things that affects the bow is the width of the top piece. 2 tanks both 24" tall made of 1/2" material one with a 2" top frame and the other with a 6" top frame will result in the one with the 6" top frame having very little bow.

HTH,
Kevin
PS: for most applications 1/2" acrylic is fine for a tank height of 24" (25"-30" = 3/4" and 31-36" = 1")

Kevin,
This is the tank with two large holes in the top. I havent seen enough IAP tanks to know what their standard setup is. I can handle a litle bow but if the front panel looks like a fish eye then I cant handle that....
Isaac
P.S. you helped a lot :)

Back