IceCap Ballast issue - help please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dragoneggs

One of my two IceCap 250W MH ballasts seems to be acting up. One of my two MH lights turns off a couple times an hour now after working flawlessly for about 8 months. Any clues as to the problem? Is it just time to get a new ballast? Is it an overheat issue?

I did just recently swap out my bulbs for two new 10K Reeflux. They were doing fine for a about a month so I am fairly convinced it's not the bulbs. I suppose I can swap them but I would bet that is not the issue.

I would be more prone to think its a bulb. Since you have two, you really should swap them to rule out this possibility.

If you confirm that it is your ballast, just write to Ice Cap Inc.. My experience with their customer service was outstanding.

Mark,

When I was setting up my MH lights, I had the same issue with a brand new electronic ballast for one of my MH. Swap bulbs, etc. and hellolights determined it was a bad ballast. Their customer service was great; they shipped out a new ballast asap and this one worked.

I swapped the bulbs and the problem seemed to disappear for now. I also checked all my connections and they seemed sound. Sorry to bug everyone on this but it was concerning to me before I left for business for a few days. I will post some pics soon.

I'd say it was the Bulb. I had 2 10k Reeflux bulbs and one went bad after after about 1 month of use. It worked the day before but the next day no workie. Took the bulb back to the LFS (BR) for testing to confirm it wasn't me and they where nice enough to swap it out for me.

i was thinking of replaceing my stock ballast's in my cheap nova fixture with some icecaps..... you say there service rocks?

Back