ICK???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phatman

this is my setup large population of mushroom and star polyp. some frogspawn and hammer both small. Got a blue hippo from a friend and it has ick. i tried to seperate her but no go. would be to stressfull to others to dig her out. my question is.. is anything safe to treat in whole tank. or does anyone have a soulution for this that i could try.

First of, Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!!

There are a lot of supposed "Ich Remedies" on the market that advertise themselves as "reef safe." However, IMO, if it'll kill Ich, it'll kill other beneficial reef inverts, zoaplankton...etc. Then there's the Ich remedies that will kill everything in your tank, except your fish. Unfortunately, the only safe way to treat Ich and be 100% certain that it's OUT of your display tank, is to remove ALL fish from your display and treat them in a QT tank, with either hyposalinity or copper treatment. The problem you'll run into now, is that if the Tang has Ich, there's now Ich in your system. Even if you just removed the Tang and treated it, you'd still have ich in your system. That's where the suggestion of treating all fish come in. You'll need to leave your display "fallow," NO FISH, for a period of at least 8 weeks. This will insure that any Ich in the display dies, after going through it's reproductive life and not having any fish to latch onto. There's TONS of very valuable information available on Lee's Marine Fish forum. I'd definitely recommend you read his "stickies." http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

dang it sid you beat me to it and you gave why better info

I probably shouldnt have so go to that post should just said to ask you

like i said in my other post dont listen to me listen to sid and do what he says he know what he talking about when it comes to ick:lol:

First of, Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!!

There are a lot of supposed "Ich Remedies" on the market that advertise themselves as "reef safe." However, IMO, if it'll kill Ich, it'll kill other beneficial reef inverts, zoaplankton...etc. Then there's the Ich remedies that will kill everything in your tank, except your fish. Unfortunately, the only safe way to treat Ich and be 100% certain that it's OUT of your display tank, is to remove ALL fish from your display and treat them in a QT tank, with either hyposalinity or copper treatment. The problem you'll run into now, is that if the Tang has Ich, there's now Ich in your system. Even if you just removed the Tang and treated it, you'd still have ich in your system. That's where the suggestion of treating all fish come in. You'll need to leave your display "fallow," NO FISH, for a period of at least 8 weeks. This will insure that any Ich in the display dies, after going through it's reproductive life and not having any fish to latch onto. There's TONS of very valuable information available on Lee's Marine Fish forum. I'd definitely recommend you read his "stickies." http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

I've not had an Ich problem in a few years, but I have gone through the trials and tribulations of Ich...lol. It's not that I know any more than anyone else about Ich, because there's LOTS of people that know a heck of a lot more about it than I do. I've just found myself reading lots of information and research regarding it. Lee's threads are some of the best I've read!!

apreciate the reads unfortunatly catching all my fish i feel would be more stressfull than to leave them. not to mention the fact of having to destroy my corals which are attached to several pieces of rock at the same time. this is the third blue in a year and a half. i have very bad luck with this fish. she is my "unicorn". The rest of my fish have been through ich and back. so i have no fear for them. i am gonna try to bait trap her see if this will work

Believe it or not, a lot of people use a small barbless hook to catch fish out of their reef tanks. I've never tried it, but know several people who have. Since you've had such trouble with Tangs, and since Tangs are such Ich Magnets, I would suggest QTing any and all new fish, especially Tangs, in the future, before adding them to your display tank. This is a habit WE ALL should have, but most of us don't, myself included. I do QT some new fish, but not all. It's bit me in the butt before and probably will again, unless I change my evil ways.

Brings a whole new meaning to gone fishing. i was thinking about this. lol

Back