ID Algae please and help to control it

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron7405

Hi there

I just sep up a 55 g tank it has been running for 3 weeks now. the parameters are all ok. Ca, Amonia, etc.

Recently it has pass for the diatom borwn algae (which is OK on the early stage of a tank) but I have notice last 3 or 4 days than a kind of algae starting to show all over where the diatom brown algae was in my glass and is growing in my sand too.Is not completly hairy is more like branch. Pictures attach are from the glas in the sand are really hard to take for been too small branch still thin.

I need to know what kind is, how to controll it, if I need some snail, crabs etc. can control it. I have a quarentin tank with one Esmerald crab could it help if I move it to the 55 g?

Tomorrow Im doing my Firts 10% water change should I tray to Sweep this thing with the Siphon?

Thank you

My live stock are:
6 turbo snails
5 hermit crabs
1 blood shrimp
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 green cromis
2 clown perculas
1 anemonie
shrooms
green star polips
green eye zooas
2" acropora horrida

Equipment
55 glass tank
Skimmer AquaC remora pro Mag3 w/overflow box
2"Aragolive sand bed
40 Lbs LR
1/10 Mini Chiller by Current
20Xrlt Iwaki Pump japanes Motor
1 20" Sunpod 150W 14000K MH by Current
1 20" Sunpod 250W 14000K MH by Current

Last edited:
Its hair algae You have a lot of stuff in your tank for only being 3 weeks old. I wouldnt add anymore fish until you get the hair algae under control.start doing some water changes. how long are the lights on and what kind of water movement do you have. also do you have a skimmer

I would get a couple red leg hermits and some astrea snails

I agree with your tank being too young to have some of the stock you have listed. Anemones shouldn't be added to a tank until it is matured, which IMO is at least 9 months old. Also, as mentioned previously, this algae is part of the normal algae cycles. Stick with your water changes using RO or RO/DI water, and watch your nutrient input. Siphon the algae out with your water changes to help with manual removal.

Hope this helps!

Its hair algae You have a lot of stuff in your tank for only being 3 weeks old. I wouldnt add anymore fish until you get the hair algae under control.start doing some water changes. how long are the lights on and what kind of water movement do you have. also do you have a skimmer

I would get a couple red leg hermits and some astrea snails

Ligths are from 9am-3 PM
I Use RO
And the Skummer is a Aqua C Remora Pro with a mag 3 pump

Water movement I have 2 Power heads oine is a Aquaclear 30, Zoomed 20, The return from the chiller from a IWAKI 20XRLT around 500GPH and the returne from the skimmer from a Mag 3 Pump

Last edited:
Yes I wont add any more live stock to it and I will stick to my water change as well. I was thinking to do them avery month but I will do them every week untill this gets control,

Tahnx a lot.

Back