Id help Please :)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cyberbug

Hi, I just bought this huge rock of some kind of Stars... The guy called them Vietnams Stars. Someone else said that's not what they are... I know I have 2 other kinds that are more comman & pink& green & brown & white. This is the first time I have seen this kind... They are laced with a different kind of green on the inside with a hint of blue. The other side with a brownish color. The color changes with the flow of the water.

Last edited:
not Anthelia at all my friend as evidenced by the stoloniferous mat undereath.

This is indeed a "star" type coral. Briareum or the like.

Do a google image search for pics of species in this genus (use the image tool button on the index page)

no worries my friend... pics from I are always tough, If it was/were on hand closer, you could see the calyces merged with connective (stolon) tissue.

I do like your current avatar BTW. Cocos pele or the equiv? Fertility god of some sort, yes. Good to have over growing corals :)

Yes always is good to have him esspecially whe nmy fathers native spirit, I may be getting a tattoo of that exact one lol. Could you post a pic of a purple leather also for me please Anthony?

Interesting to hear of the meaning of the icon to you:) Good luck/life.

As for "purple leather"... that could mean most anything from half dozen genera and dozens of species. I haven't the foggiest clue which coral you could mean here my friend. You may want to peep the Alderslade book too.

Here's a pic of the mat. It feels like rubber compared to the purple one I have...I googled the name you gave me. And the closest one I could find that looked like mine was....Pachyclavularia Briareum.
Is there a nick name for these lol. That is really a mouth full :)

Thanks for all Your Help!!
Angela

I would have to agree with star polyp....Hard to tell from the pics it could be regular green star polyp that sometimes looks more brownish than green. And then again it kinda looks like pink or peach star polyp.

those genera names are too commonly interchanged indeed. And IDs from pics are useless and unreliable really unless you are looking at calyces and spicules and comparing them to pics (such as with Alderslades book (2001))

You can fairly call this a star polyp.

Back