ID please...found in chaeto

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Seadogs

I just got some Chaeto for my refugium and this little guy showed up. If anyone knows what he is and how to care for him, that would be great. The tiny tenticals seem to move separately.

Figures. So I should just fish him out? Should I be looking for more? All that's in there with it is an Emerald Crab and some snails.

It's definitely a majano. People consider them a pest anemone, but IMO they aren't as bad as Aiptasia. Aiptasia spreads like wildfire, but majano isn't nearly as bad, and some are quite beautiful. I've seen some that are better looking than any "desireable" anemone on the market. I would remove it because it will eventually start to take over your refugium area, and they don't really help your tank any. If something were to happen and a bunch died at the same time the resulting ammonia spike could do some serious damage to your tank. Maybe you could start a small species tank for different attractive majanos? Many LFS would love to give them away.

My cousin used to run an LFS and he had a couple that were these amazing greens with some blue and darker, almost black spots. They were gorgeous. If I could I'd totally start a Majano tank. Then again I'd also like a jellyfish tank, a coral-only tank, and a regular reef tank.... This hobby really is a sickness isn't it?

Thanks for the info. I must say, we've had our tank for 2 yrs now and this is the first time I've heard of them. I wish I could keep him without any problems, he's kinda cute.

Back