ID PLEASE ( Nudibranchs ? )

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Samonslayer hang on i have seen something like this and it was not good!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!! like to eat clams give me a min to get you to a link...Jeff

Well... Tracy good thing your refugium is far from your main system. I guess you should've never put him back in there! ooooooops:cry:

Salmon Slayer. I can't believe I see this pic! I have been trying to ID something "VERY" similar looking. Do You have Caribbean Lr? The one I saw was collected in St Augustine Florida. It was a little smaller than ciggarette pack.I wasn't able to get a pic. It's almost a perfect match to the one I saw. Is it possible you have some lr or such from the Caribbean? If so May I use the pic to send to "The Sea slug forum"? I thought it looked like a type of Spanish Dancer then learned there was a Caribbean type., Hexabranchus Morsomus. I would very much like to know what this animal is. The guy was trying to sell it at an LFS & said there were a lot more where this one came from. We told him it most likely to be a type of nudibranch & not suitible for an aquarium. He would not tell us where exactly he found it. We have had very mild winters lately & find more unusual southern marine animals. At the time there were steady south winds & there was a lot of sargasso washing up on local beaches. Thanks. Brian

Interesting....I have two things that look like that but they are black. What is the difference between a limpet and what is in the picture? Just briefly.
Not trying to hijack just never seen something so similar except for color.

Sure Brian go for it. I have a mix of LR. Not sure if from Caribbean. Thank god its in the sump. I will catch it tomorrow. I have only Calerpa in that sump. The sump is one of three I have on my systems. It was set up to be gravity fed to feed pods to my system. I have no clue what its been eating. One thing I know is theres no clams up there :eek:.
The thing is about 1 1/2 to 2" long.

Thanks, A guy comes in My LFS with ths thing in a container wanting to sell it. The owner & I couldn't id it. I was curious what it was, the more I looked the worse it got LOL. I have no idea if it could be the same or not. It sure looks very close. Shape & how the spots/markings are the same the color was a close match as well. I'm sure there are so many that look alike. I was hoping You got it from some Hatian lr or from the FL Keys perhaps. I don't know if it's a flatworm or nudibranch. I suppose just a pic without info on where it was collected won't be much help for the experts. We find various nudibranchs in the Sargasso while offshore fishing but I hadn't seen one like this. around here. I wish I had a pic of the one i saw. So no idea how long it may have been in your tank & what it was eating? LOL I'm curious as hell now! The gentleman at Sea Slug couldn't help with out a pick. here is a link if your interested.
http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=21153
Thanks again & Brian

Foods/Feeding/Nutrition:

All Polyclad Flatworms are carnivorous, and specific about their prey. Most feed on sea squirts, bryozoans, small worms, crustaceans, or snails, but some are cannibalistic.

Reproduction:

Platyhelminths are true hermaphrodites... being both male and female. Cross-fertilization is the rule with a "pair" rudely stabbing one another with a hard penile stylet to enact sperm transfer. As you know due to exposure with Planaria, they can also generate new individuals by splitting asexually.

All Polyclad Flatworms are carnivorous

Try not to ever use the word "All" :D Not all Poly's are carnivorous. Some are scavengers and some are herbivores.

OK its up for sale. $35.95 a inch. Just a JK.
It sounds like I need to catch the thing and flush it. Thank god its in a sump chamber. It seems to be living on pods, Bristleworms, snails. etc.
I did a heavy flat worm exit treatment about 4 month ago with no water change for about three weeks or so. How did it survive. It killed all my flatworms but one obviously.
PS Me thinks one of my fellow reefers put it there when I wasn't looking ;)
Thanks all for the info Great job

Thanks Boomer. Certainly not the one I saw. It would be a little far from home LOL. It was a long shot.. Thanks anyway Salmonslayer, the search continues! Good luck with the beast!

I did a heavy flat worm exit treatment about 4 month ago with no water change for about three weeks or so. How did it survive. It killed all my flatworms but one obviously.

That which doesn't kill you makes you massively larger. Didn't you ever watch any Saturday afternoon at the movies, atomic bomb experiment movies? "Attack of the giant flatworm!"

Cracker

It is a Pericelis IMHO, not that it is "the" one from Guam. The pic was a ref :D There are many species of Pericelis.

Back