ID Please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mad921

Got it as a hitchiker on the candy cane. Guessing some sort of Montipora.

I know...my camera sucks.

Thanks!

Well after my last miserable attempt at an ID, I am gonna guess a candy cane, aka Caulestrea furcata.
I would also think you should probably invest in a couple of books that might help you ID stuff and know the care of said corals before a purchase. JMHO

Well after my last miserable attempt at an ID, I am gonna guess a candy cane, aka Caulestrea furcata.
I would also think you should probably invest in a couple of books that might help you ID stuff and know the care of said corals before a purchase. JMHO

I would agree with you completely if I was wondering what the candy cane I bought was.

I might not have been really clear with my question (and my crappy pic probably didn't help much)...what I actually was wondering about is the disc shaped hard coral attached to the middle of the lower left branch of the candy cane ("the hitchiker on the candy cane").

Hello,
From the picture I really can't see any other coral but IME both Montipora and Porites corals are commonly found on other corals.

Regards,
Kevin

Couple more, might help a bit. Pretty sure it's a monti, and pretty sure it's toast with my PC lighting, but was just curious.

Hello,
Montipora can do quite well under PC lighting even keeping bright colors depending on the distance from the bulbs. 6-8" for good color and growth, 12-14" and they will still live.

Regards,
Kevin

Back