ID please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Webos

I'm thinking they are feather dusters but i'm not sure how i got them.

Attachments

• 20130121_201727.jpg
    20130121_201727.jpg
    50.6 KB
They are feather dusters, tube worms of a kind. They are great filter feaders and great occupants for the sump.

However that single thread coming off the rock looks to be a Digitate Hydroid. Which you'll want to get rid of asap! They are invasive nasty lil stingers and zoas especially do not like them. I'm speaking from personal experience here as I'm fighting them now :(

Try bending one of the tubes. If it breaks its a duster but if it bends its a hydroid.

Well it could just be something on the glass. But looking at the pic there is a fine white string coming off the tip of the rock. This is what the Digitate Hydroids look like. I could be wrong :)

I just got home and looked at the string you were speaking of Nana and looks like the digitate hydroids. How are you getting rid of them??

:( I'm not! But I am fighting them with my Sea Squirt and boiling water :)
It looks as if you could maybe cook that rock? If you can do so! These lil buggers spread like crazy. They are recking havoc on my zoa colonies.

Reading through this thread and I think I am still confused on which one is the digitate hydroids. The stringy fisher or the feather duster wannabes?

The little tubes with feathery head that pops in and out are feather dusters and a good to have. The other lines could be anything. I see nothing in the picture to worry over. D. Hydroids are very tiny stringlike creatures related to jellyfish. Best viewed at night. If they reproduce, can be a pest. There are many types of hydroids, and many types of colonial hydroids which can sting. Be that as it may, very few tanks have them as a problem. The items you are referring to are feather dusters "When you hear hooves, think horses not zebras"

I have several in my tank. Especially in the filter pad in the refugium which is right before the pump to tank. They are out off and on but always when I blast off the rock for cleaning or when the sand bed gets disturbed fishing the water. I just chalked them up to another random "cool critter". A different forum had a poster claim that his lunar wrasse ate them. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836138 look for the maneatingguppy post.

I guess I'll keep a closer eye on them.

Back