ID please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JPloman

Is it possible to get an idea on what this is? It started growing in my tank about two months ago and just keeps getting bigger and prettier. I would like to know what it is, if at all possible.

Its soft. It is about the size of a penny now, but it has been there about two months now. Some have suggested that maybe it is a plate coral, but I have my doubts. Corals just dont grow on you rlive rock randomly... do they?

They could. Some softies will make a comeback after you think all is lost. If it is soft, then i would also think mushroom. When you look at it, does it have a "mouth" of anykind...something that resembles a slit? Or does it have tentacles that come off of the top side? When you say its soft....is it pliable? or does it feel like there is a skeleton to it?

Cool. Well I dont see a mouth... that doesnt mean its not there though. There is this area where it folds a bunch nest to the rock and I can not see in it. I am afraid if I touch it too much it will break or die.

Okay, bottom side is smooth. Top side has some bumps like my mushrooms. There is no visible mouth, but it could still be too small. I couldnt get a better photo of the folded part.

It is pliable, but not a whole lot. I am afraid to move it too much... it would suck if I broke it. I am not seeing any tenticles. It is really small yet. It is about the size of a dime...

Back