ID this algae pls

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

luisse25

this is growing in my shroom frag....it looks cool but nearly want to get rid of it i wanna know what it is before i do any actions....is it invasive or is it gonna cause any problems in the future?
DSC09656.jpg

thanks

Halimeda. It's a calcerous algae and pretty cool. I used to have it in all my tanks, but no longer have any. If your calcium levels are high, it will grow very fast. Once it reaches a "critical mass" it will go sexual. However, it won't harm anything when it does. It just turns white, clouds the tank for a couple hours, and then dissolves into aragonite sand.

i have another one that is long like a tube and same texture as this algae....i notice some gets all white and just gone...same species?
so its a good thing too to have this to monitor calcium?cause if it grows that means calcium is good?

tahnks for the info sid:)

I love that stuff I use to have it in my old tank. One day I will get another start of it and get it going in my tank that I have set up now.

oh no..no need to swap ill give free cause i got it as hitchhiker...from cherry corals:D

guess ill grow this and pass it on whoever wants some:)

I would love a little piece next time I come that way. That will give you a long time to grow it out! All frags I got from you guys are still very happy! Purple hornet has gotten much larger, but not budding yet.

no problem...:)im glad to know purple hornet and other frags are doing good....once the purple hornet shoots baby,then thats the beginning of more babies...mine just sprouts 7 babies...:D

I've kept two types of Halimeda growing in my DT for many years and love the added contrast & color plus it is a nice safe haven for pods and favorite hunting ground for my Target Mandarin. I frequently give starts out of both so if in the area please feel free to pm me for availability. When I finally get down to a PSAS meeting will bring some with or for those of you coming up to the PSAS picnic at Mikes I could bring some there. The two species I have are H. discoidea & H. goreaui.

Todd

Back