ID this crab

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

matts125

This was found in the rocks of my Dads reef tank, I know its big but is it bad? what species? I know evertime I find a crab like this I send it to the sump!
crab2.jpg

crab.jpg

Thanks for the help...

Matt

Teddy bear, maybe genus Polydectus or Pilumnus - it's hard to tell when it's out of the water & the hairs don't look right. Some reef sites say they're peaceful & non-offensive in tanks while others say they may become a nuisance as they get larger.

IMO, it should be placed in the sump or banished ;)

I go by the saying, if a crab is hairy and has black-tipped claws, it is not reef-safe. That crab there is a prime example.

Best,
Ilham

I too vote thumbs down and call for banishment. Cool crab though and I agree very nice pics. Would probably look real nice in a fish only tank with aggresive fish. Altough many of those are invert eaters, but that crab may be able to hold his own.

Cool photos and I have noticed that pics. with hands in them here on Reef Frontiers are the cleanest hands I have ever seen. :)

Hah Matt, are you sure you did not pull that crab out of your Butt :D It really L@@KS like it came from there.

Ok, back to your crab. Leslie got it one of those two and Leslie is rarely worng :D

Back