Id this please!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SmileyFace1995

Its in my brothers 24g aquapod, and now there is a new colony of it, its growing at pretty rapid rate , ISO an answer to what it is :)
p.s. sorry about quality of pics taken with my phone.
thanks!

aquapodrandomcoral.jpg

it doesn't appear to be cyano to me, looks like a red macro algae, not sure what kind though

does it wave in the current like a sheet hanging on the clothes line, or is it more solid?

it doesn't appear to be cyano to me, looks like a red macro algae, not sure what kind though

does it wave in the current like a sheet hanging on the clothes line, or is it more solid?

Wow i just looked more closely on the tank, its starting to grow on the output ... like 10 colonies overal... and its solid. the ones on the outtake are higher up, and more pinkish!!

-thanks

Definitely NOT Cyanobacteria. It's a macro algae. Angie has it growing in her Nano. I figured out an ID once before, but now can't remember what it was, or even where I IDd it from...lol. I'll look for it again.

Found it. Botryocladia skottsbergii or closely related.

Last edited:
Definitely NOT Cyanobacteria. It's a macro algae. Angie has it growing in her Nano. I figured out an ID once before, but now can't remember what it was, or even where I IDd it from...lol. I'll look for it again.

Found it. Botryocladia skottsbergii or closely related.

okay is it bad or good?
if its bad, how do i get rid of it? :)

Definatley a red macro algae. Like Returnofsid mentioned could be Botryocladia skottsbergii or even Gibsmithia hawaiiensis algae.

i wish i could keep up with that algae... my tang made quick work of the lil patch i had growing... (4hrs)

not bad if under control, can grow to look very natural

Back