If anyone wants to learn something come on down! Custom tank build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
Tonight Myteemouse and Myself will be building my new glass tank a huge 48x48x20 glass tank with external overflow and bottom internal eurobrace. If you are interested send me a PM for an address.

That sounds pretty cool, I'd be interested since i used to build acrylic aquariums just to see how the process differs. Unfortunately i will be putting my motor back in my car. Take some pictures and share if you can!

I will be sure to take a ton of pics as we build it to share of course!

For the people that want to see it done, but can't make it....

PSAS has plans in the works to buy some glass and build another tank to raffle off....it all just depends on the interest and such of a glass tank workshop.

Well we didn't get as many photos as we wanted because my wife got home from work late so we were sans photographer for half the process. I just ran the internal beads and will be finishing it tomorrow.

Pretty smooth I had to do some very nervous trimming on two pieces of euro brace...but other than that smooth.

How about if it would be engineered for quarantine set-up and incorporate a siliconed acrylic partition wall similar to biocube use for an internal coast-coast kinda use and returns drilled through the acrylic for small hidden pumps from behind the wall. Something we could all put into use very inexpensively.

How about it?

I will be sure to take a ton of pics as we build it to share of course!

For the people that want to see it done, but can't make it....

PSAS has plans in the works to buy some glass and build another tank to raffle off....it all just depends on the interest and such of a glass tank workshop.

Are you talking about a system similar to the one barrier had at seamax?

As far as the pics. I will get some up just give me some time. I have been working tirelessly on cleaning up and such. I have a couple silicone smudges from careless hand placement I need to address etc.

Here are some snapshots 48x48x20 w/ external calfo overflow. I still have some glass cleaning to do so don't judge too harshly

IMG_4600.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

Nope this will be my new Display tank. I quickly ran out of room in the 75 peninsula that was given to me in order to entice me back to this hobby. So this will get setup in its place. Right now it will be a mixed reef with 1 or 2 tangs including the purple I already have. At least a trio of anthias if not a small school, pair of designer clowns, a couple wrasses etc. Barebottom will be used with sand on the perimeter for the wrasse's to sleep in. Oh yeah and a golden dwarf Moray. I will get into more details throughout the build. I am probably going to start the stand as soon as I go to California to get the wood. I plan to do the stand in Birds eye redwood and a black granite top.

With the size of the tank what size glass did you use for the bottom. What type of glass as well. I think this turned out awesome.

With the size of the tank what size glass did you use for the bottom. What type of glass as well. I think this turned out awesome.

I used half inch glass. I am going with a solid base under the tank w/ styrofoam and the euro brace helps with that. The Industry standard is 7.6 for rimless tanks and mine comes in at 7.8 without the bracing. Just standard glass. I didn't do low iron because I think the glass is just too soft at that point and I am not a gentle person.

Back