If I am starting a new tank......

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

GA-PEACHES

I am setting up a new tank with new live sand but will be the rock and water will be from the old tank do I need to be worried about a spike or should it be like a big water change for the tank? I will be going from a 150 gallon to a 220 gallon. Any and all help will be a great help.

Every tank has different needs. Using the stuff out of another tank will help minimize any new tank cycling. I would still watch it for a month or so before doing any major additions to the tank but for the most part I would think it’s a shake and bake deal.

I agree with Ac7av. What I would do is set up the new tank with the new live sand and fresh SW. The new salt mix will replenish minerals that have been used up or are low in your current tank. Monitor the new tank for a week or two, adjust what needs to be adjusted and then finish the move once you have a stable tank to move in to.

You can use some of your old water if you really want to, but I dont see any reason to if you are going to move all of your old LR into the new tank. GOod luck with the move!

Moving water will not do anything except move waste. If you use clean not live sand and make the move quickly meaninging in one afternoon there should be no cycle at all. Adding more LR or LS will cause a short cycle.

Don

I hope every thing will be ok because I will be moving the rock with most of the water to my bath tub. I know very redneck move but I have nowhere else to put them. They will be ok there for a couple of days. So this is what I get to look forward to this weekend. I cant wait till it is over.

Clean it out real well with vinegar and then spray clean. You dont want any soap scum causing bubbles. :)

I did not think of that. You dont think the fish would like a bubble bath?lol

Also how lomg does it take to break in a skimmer? I heard you have to do that before they start working right. Or was some one just pulling a fast one on me? The only skimmers I have had before were used.

You dont have to break in a skimmer. Its pretty much going to work the same out of the box as it will a week from then. What they meant was you probably wont get very good skimmate right away. Your skimmer will have to be adjusted to the performance you want by adjusting the riser tube or air content ect.

I have read that a skimmer will become more efficient after a couple of days due to the scum that builds on the sides to help the skim mate climb into the collection cup.

Give any skimmer at least a week to reach full potential. Some may be cleaned better from the factory than others, but any residue on the plastic/acrylic can cause it to not skim well at first.

Agree with the concern about putting the live rock in the tub though - lots of soap residue in there, I'm guessing.

Thanks for the help on the skimmer. I was not sure what was going to happen when I hooked it up.

I'm not really worried about soap residue in the tub I have only used it twice. My cat on the other hand dont like me taking away their play ground.

Once again thanks for the advice. I will let ya'll know how it comes out. After work I get to get started on it.

I just got my tank set up and running I have to get the salt right and then in go the fish.I will try to get some pics soon. Thanks again for all the help.

Dont get too hasty on adding the fish. I know they always say throw some Damsels in there immediately, but you dont have to rush. Too many fish die needlessly just because some guy wants to sell you something.

Back