If I Were You... Yet Another Lighting Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kraut!

Captain... Not Fish
What would you get? 2 XM10K SE or 2 Ushio 10K SE run by 2 Icecap 250 ballasts With 2 suplimental 03 Actinic VHOs on my 90... going to go mainly SPS? Any input would be groovy. thanks

Last edited:
Hi Kraut, I ran XM250's on Icecaps for about 3 months and wasn't impressed with them. Switched over to BLV14k's supplemented with 03 VHO, Giesseman actinics and ATI Aquablue spezial T5's and been very happy. I also have a SPS dominated tank (BLV is a subsidary of USHIO)

How about a wrench in the mix... Have you considered the reeflux bulbs?? I ran the XM's last and switched to the reeflux on my last bulb change and I could not be happier. I have sps and the colors will knock you out.

Wrenches are definitely accepted... I am looking for a whiter burn which is why I am looking for 10k. And also, what the heck is the difference between hqi and I guess "standard" bulbs? I will look into Radiums and BLV... anybody have pictures of them fired up?

I use the 250w 10k reeflux. I like the whiter burn too and to me this is much better than the XM's.

My wife shouts enough at me:D Okay, I am looking for them... I can only find 20's so far. Where did you get yours if you don't mind me asking?

Indeed it is. It's the arguments I have with myself that I have problems with...

Where did you find your Reeflux at? When I put them on my 300, i got a really nice growth spurt too, but like I said, if you have any blue sps at all, you are gonna freak, after a while.

freak how? I have a few blues.
I found some Reefluxs at Reef Exotics... least expensive place I could find so far.... still looking though

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!... I'm all excited now... I'm ordering them tomorrow. Thanks Charlie and Sue

Reefflux bulbs are alot bluer then XM. If you go a happy medium with them additon lighting is not required. I think for the buck Reeflux is much better for the individual that likes a bluer tint to the light. Ushio bulbs have a very good white light with them, But addidtional lighting would be definately required.

Kraut!, I got mine from Tony at Reef Exotics. Great guy. Your very welcome. My growth is just fine. I didn't notice any difference in the 2 bulbs. I love throwing a wrench into the mix at times. LOL.. Charlie's right the blues will scream at you, but in a very nice tone.

Last edited:
Back