If you're looking for an aquacontroller, look here

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spipedong

I found this deal earlier today and have been posting all over to try to share the love.

I just ordered an Aquacontroller Jr (base unit only) with serial interface for a little under $100 shipped. It does not include the DC4 or DC8 power strips, but I'll be using X10 anyway.

This is almost $100 less than marinedepot and I didn't believe my eyes. Hopefully the order gets through and they don't call up and say that it was a typo and they won't honor the price!

receipt.jpg

So if anyone is looking for a controller and doesn't mind picking up a DC4/8 seperately or building their own with X10 components, jump on it! Also, the picture they have is of the pre-facelift version, but I don't know which one I'll actually receive.

Their site is pretty slow and I don't know how many they have in stock but here's a Linky: http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/Digit...DI-NPC-ACJR-SR/

I'll post back if/when mine shows up. Expected delivery is 11/28!

That truely is a great deal for the base unit and temp probe only. I did the math and when you add in the Ph probe and a DC8 they arent any less expensive than the other guy. :rolleyes:

I did the math and when you add in the Ph probe and a DC8 they arent any less expensive than the other guy. :rolleyes:

Yes, but when you already have a pH probe and you don't want or need a DC8, you save a good chunk.

I want to try my hand at a web interface for this thing, and I'm stoked that I finally found a controller for less than 100 bucks.

i jumped on the bandwagon. hopefully mine is not backordered. hey spipedong, are you gonna go with the x10 controllers or the dc4 or dc8.

opps, saw on the original post your gonna do the x10. i heard local hardware stores have them cheaper. is that true? which ones do the hardware stores come under?

I haven't checked on the local hardware stores yet... Hopefully they won't be too bad.

Looks like you need a RJ11 -> Powerline adapter and then a control module for each device.

It's also my theory that all the DCx boxes are is power strips with X10 modules integrated; maybe if I got super creative I could build one of my own.

Also, unfortunately mine is backordered, but they were pretty nice about it:
> Hi Keelan
> The following item(s) that you ordered are currently on backorder:
> 1 x AquaController Jr. Backlit unit with temperature probe and serial
>
> We should be getting them in within a week or so.Due to the delay
> please let us know if you would like to change or cancel that part of
> the order.Otherwise we will send your order out complete as soon as
> the back ordered items comes in
>
> Thanks
> Tom

aw man, that means mine is backordered. still a good price though. x10's i think are in the home security isle.

I haven't checked on the local hardware stores yet... Hopefully they won't be too bad.

Looks like you need a RJ11 -> Powerline adapter and then a control module for each device.

It's also my theory that all the DCx boxes are is power strips with X10 modules integrated; maybe if I got super creative I could build one of my own.

Also, unfortunately mine is backordered, but they were pretty nice about it:

DCx's are not x10 modules in a power strip. They are processor controlled triacs. I'd think twice or even three times before spending money on x10. Its a coin toss as to wether i will work or not. I'd definatly think twice about using the AC to contol temp.

Don

DCx's are not x10 modules in a power strip. They are processor controlled triacs. I'd think twice or even three times before spending money on x10. Its a coin toss as to wether i will work or not. I'd definatly think twice about using the AC to contol temp.

Don
your right. looking at the specs for the dc4 they're specifically used for lights and heavy load power. gonna have to invest in one. thanks don.

do you believe they will be okay for solenoid switches and powerheads?

your right. looking at the specs for the dc4 they're specifically used for lights and heavy load power. gonna have to invest in one. thanks don.

do you believe they will be okay for solenoid switches and powerheads?

Dont use x10 on anything that supports the tank like heat, top off or anything like that. You need a one powerline interface and one cable then a module for each thing you want to control, so its really not a big money savings over the dc8. You can count on the fact that it wont be as reliable. I use x10 all over my house and have since the late 70's and it hasnt changed a bit. Sometimes it works and somes it doesnt.:)

Don

don, do you use any electronic automation in your saltwater setups? what do you recommend?
thinking twice about the acjr. didn't want to spend more on a dc8

Last edited:
don, do you use any electronic automation in your saltwater setups? what do you recommend?
thinking twice about the acjr. didn't want to spend more on a dc8

:lol:I have a seamless automation system. There isnt anything that I dont have automated. My new system will not be as automated but will do quite abit. I posted a diagram thread earlier to the new AT, WC and doser. But right now my current system probably the most automated reef system you will ever find. I use a applied digital ocelot combined with a applied digital touch screen leopard and more tha 100 IO's.

Don

thanks don, i have a similar setup.
on my water change though i use 2 kangaroo peristatic pumps. 1 doses at 150ml and the other takes out 75ml per day. the kangaroo doser is feed from my 2.5 gallon saltwater resevoir, i use a automatic feeder to deliver the salt, mixed with a powerhead. the saltwater resevoir is fed fresh ro/di and is controlled by an ato in which it is connected to a switch. ive been skimming wet so ive been tweaking here and there. been up and running for a week so far. (thus the question about salinity in the other thread)
as for my calcium reactor i use the aquamedic 3000 to do a continual dose. i use the aquamedic nuevmat for my kalk reactor to top off my evaporation rate using two float switches. (thus the question about the peristatic two rollers not pumping due to the bad check valve) I'm just hoping the floats dont fail on me :(
i was guess the reason why i want to get the acjr is to log each unit and access them on the web in order to turn on or off in case of emergencies. im planning a vacation for two weeks in february and i need to automate and fail safe everything before i go.

thanks for your input don :)

i was guess the reason why i want to get the acjr is to log each unit and access them on the web in order to turn on or off in case of emergencies. im planning a vacation for two weeks in february and i need to automate and fail safe everything before i go.

ooh, you might not want the ACjr then. It doesn't have the network interface of the full blown aquacontroller. It does have a serial interface and with that interface and the software you could do a remote desktop session and check up on things, but it won't be native like the AC3.

Reefkeeper sounds more up your alley. I think they're around $250 or so.

Of course the reason I'm getting the ACjr is so I can try to build a web interface for it but if I fail who cares? :)

thanks don, i have a similar setup.
on my water change though i use 2 kangaroo peristatic pumps. 1 doses at 150ml and the other takes out 75ml per day. the kangaroo doser is feed from my 2.5 gallon saltwater resevoir, i use a automatic feeder to deliver the salt, mixed with a powerhead. the saltwater resevoir is fed fresh ro/di and is controlled by an ato in which it is connected to a switch. ive been skimming wet so ive been tweaking here and there. been up and running for a week so far. (thus the question about salinity in the other thread)
as for my calcium reactor i use the aquamedic 3000 to do a continual dose. i use the aquamedic nuevmat for my kalk reactor to top off my evaporation rate using two float switches. (thus the question about the peristatic two rollers not pumping due to the bad check valve) I'm just hoping the floats dont fail on me :(

With automation your better off using things that are reliable with seemless failsafes rather than playing with internet functions. Although my system has the internet fuctions they have yet to be of any use. Long term without failures while your at home is a true test. One thing I have learned is that automation is not cheap and if you cut corners using cheap parts the automation will bite you in the butt.

Don

Actually I just learned something else... If you're willing to buck up the cash for aquanotes full you can actually have web access to the ACjr.

Back