I'm new to this and I really need help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

high Nirate and very High phosphate

What is causing the high nitrate and phosphate levels?? Once you determined this, you should be on your way to eradicating the algae.

What is causing the high nitrate and phosphate levels?? Once you determined this, you should be on your way to eradicating the algae.

I think it was the way I was doing my water changes, I was changin' 5 gals. a week plus the fact I had my lights runnin' almost 11-12 hrs. a day Now I do twenty gal. water changes twice a month,and run my lights 7-9 hrs. a dayplus I rised the lights up higher. I think thats right at lease I hope it is.

i've always been told to do a 10-20% water change a week that would put you at 20-40gl a week. the nitraits and phosephate could be coming from the food you feed or your water sorce. have you checked those?

I only run my halides for 5hrs and am considering cutting back further. No ill effects!

i've always been told to do a 10-20% water change a week that would put you at 20-40gl a week. the nitraits and phosephate could be coming from the food you feed or your water sorce. have you checked those?

after talking to my LPS (fishtown aquariums) they told me that changing water every week upset the tank so it's better to do one large change than four small change because you don't want to shock the fish as often.

morpheus3,

IMO, total lighting hours should be between 7-9 hours..how you distribute the usage is your call.

thanks...I have 2 250w MH 10K bulbs on my tank which are on for a total of 6 hrs, then my actinics are on for 2 hrs...this seems to be a good balance for me which works..

nc2wa what is your opinion on lunars? I run my atinics 10am to 9 pm and my halide noon to 7. Lunars come on 15 minutes before atinics go out and turn off 15 after they turn on.

IMHO, they are not needed..some people like them, some people (like me) do not really care for them..just another actinic light..

FWIW, I just increased my light from 1 to 8 to 12 to 8; actincs come on at 5pm and go off at 8pm.

the key is getting a lighting schedule that works for YOU but also does not contribute to increased algae growth. it is a balancing act that will take some time and trial and error.

my schedule works for me and I have no nuisance algae in my tank..

Kirk

Back