in almost direct sunlight

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

josh88

Ok so I was reading up on how to find a good spot to place a display tank, and we all want our tanks to be seen cause of course they are amazing. I personally love all the ?'s I'm asked, and converting ppl to the hobby. Ne-who...... I was reading and it said to avoid the tank being in sunlight. Now I live in an apartment. And there's really only one place where I have space for a nano...gots to say how small my place is. Lol. So it was in my kitchen. Problem light rises in the living room where a Great deal of light still shines through the blinds, and sets on the kitchen side of my place, where another big window is. More sunlight getting directly to the tank. So here's my ?...........COULD THIS SUNLIGHT BE AN ADDED REASON FOR MY CONSISTENT BATTLE WITH ALGAE?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Could be, but keep in mind algae needs nutrients to grow, so maybe not. What is your tank Phosphates and Nitrates? Keeping in mind it even though our test kits read 0 it may not actually be 0 as most kits in this hobby don't read lower than 0.00ppm. Which doesn't mean phosphates aren't there just, just not high enough to be read by our kits. Also, I've had algae growing like crazy will reading 0 on the test kit. This is due to above and the phosphates are already bound up in the algae. Not saying the direct sunlight isn't a cause as it's providing light in the perfect spectrum to grow algae, but it's not the only cause.

So here's my ?...........COULD THIS SUNLIGHT BE AN ADDED REASON FOR MY CONSISTENT BATTLE WITH ALGAE?

Yes, absolutely an additional reason to extra algae growth. Food & light in a wet enviroment is pretty much all they need to exist, and sunlight is very high in PAR but not in the spectrum most of us like to see in our aquariums.

Cheers, Todd

James your 100% correct buddy, so that's why I researched like crazy, got my feedings done for all my coral and maroon clown done, by feeding my Duncan coral. Besides feeding my torch, and 2 RBTA.
Todd, that's what I was thinking. After a 10 months in the hobby, still a newbie.
So ? 2, how could I prevent this from happening the next time around

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Anything you could place in between aquarium and light source, even a house plant??? would help. Also you can have macro algae in a fuge that could depending on bio-load out compete nuisance algae for said nutrients. A Phosban reactor with a 50/50 mix of Carbon and GFO would also help quite a bit.

Cheers, Todd

how about an algea blenny and just go with it??? algea is a GOOD thing, just that we don't like to deal with it and some think it looks bad. I want to do an algae based system sometime, no skimmer, just rock,sand, fuge and and algea eating livestock.

but yeh you are right, thats fish tank 101, keep them out of the sun.

Back