In dire need of a chiller!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

turns out my after unplugging both heaters and opening up my Hammerheads outlet a little bit the temp came down to a max of 80f-81f daily for the high. not bad but the Hammerhead is too much GPH for the tank. Need to trade it out for Dart.

I found that that the Hammerheads really put a lot of heat into my tank, I have two of them on two closed loops. Ultimately I had to go with a chiller myself. Things that helped was opening the stand doors if you're hammerhead's in the stand, and also can you cycle it on and off? You're sacrificing some flow, but that might be better than the heat until you can fix the issue. Good luck, glad you're down in the low 80's.

-Don

I think that I would like to cycle it 15m - on , 15m - off. I don't know how well the motor will take that cycling. Anyone have any input? I assume that since it isn't acting as a wavemaker (on/off cycle every few seconds) that it wont burn out the motor easily. From what I have read about Reeflo they have some of the best Electrical Motors on the market for their pumps. Maybe I will give it a shot.

On a side note... My Hammerhead does make a humming sound thru the piping and tank (Pretty sure its not my PCX-40). I assume that because the 1.5" passing thru the stand is extremely tight on the PVC that is whats causing the vibrations and hum. Also, I think I hear something on the electrical motor side rattling around inside of the motor... Maybe something that isn't to worry about. The motor is warm but is has been running for over a month now. The Pump casing is not warm at all... even with about 40% dialed back.

I have the same set up with pcx-40 return and hammerhead CL and my temp. stays around 77-80 with one fan blowing over the water when the halide comes on. No chiller.

Maybe late but ditto. Or had, in my case.

Back