In-line vs Drop in Chillers?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tell us more about your tank

Hi Sparky 52 Tell us what kind of lights you have on this tank?( Halides versus T5,VHO,PC) What kind of pumps are you using ( In the sump ) or external these are your big heat sorces and we need to know what you have before recomending a chiller and its size. Are you able to run the chiller outside? If not do you have a good way to vent the hot air to the outside.
Is your house set up with Central A/C? Get back with us And we will try to help you out Love a 180 thats a nice size Got any Eye candy ( pictures?)
:) ...Jeff

sparky52 said:
:eek: What size chiller and or style/brand do you think I will need for my 180g tank located in the basement? Right now the temp goes no higher than 79F and there is a central air duct in the room, but im worried about those 100F summer days

3-250w halides,
3-submersable pumps, hagen 802's
window 4' from tank
central air in the room(but T stat is upstairs)

Figure out how large of a temp pull down you will need, and go from there.
Most likely, a 1/4 hp unit, should be sufficient, but you might have to get a 1/3 hp unit.

You wont know for sure until you get the tank running and see what the temp will be worst case scenario. You may be able to do fine just by using fans over the sump/tank and evaporative cooling.

Nick

3-250w halides,

Well Sparky I have 3-250w halides,
3-submersible pumps, mag drives and I have a 1/3 Hp chiller and I have no trouble Like Maxx said Most chiller web sites will tell you a temperature to gallon ration drop they will preform. Now the next thing to look at is amperage load that a chiller draws IE: most 1/3 HP chiller will draw 7.3 up to 7.5 amps That is is over 1/2 the load a 15 amp circuit breaker can carry Remember you can only load a circuit breaker 80% or 12 amps...Now with fans
It will cool it down the only down side and I got tired of experiencing this was big Temp swings and 2-4 gallons of water loss each day to evaporation. I personally believe since adding the chillers My corals are More stable and are showing greater growth and more healthy over all.;)

Good luck with your choices.....Jeff
:D

sparky52 said:
3-250w halides,
3-submersable pumps, hagen 802's
window 4' from tank
central air in the room(but T stat is upstairs)

Yeah I got the electrical end taken care of..just curious about chiller size and type, I have a fan blowing across the top of the tank when the halides are on, and the tank goes from 78 to 79-80, but the room is also cool this time of year.

Back