In The Beginning (Electrical)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

Wiring is now mounted on the back, and I do have one question or maybe two. As you can see there is 5 timers. each MH ballast has one, VHOs&fans have one and each Turbelle stream has one. the questions that come to mind are leave them on the back or put them in the cabinet for easy access for checking them. #2 is do I need to cover them to prevent any water from splashing on and shorting them ballast. Any other ideas would be appreciated as usual.

MINIATUS

Any ideas how to do it. I was think of a piece of rubber to deflect the water away. What about the moving of the timers into the stand.

MINIATUS

Acrylic Box over the Top... Have a local plastic shop cut it for ya and you can glue it together pretty easily... Then you can screw it somehow depending on how you wanted it to look..

James

Either your way or James idea is good. Just make sure when you plug everything in, there is a drip loop in the cord. You don't want saltwater in those powerstrips. Trust me, I know that from experience!!!

Also easy access to the timer is a big plus. I have one on a tank that is about 30 mins slow over a week or so, so every month I have to set it up.

So should I mount the timers in the cabinet or leave them behind the stand, but make sure I can remove them without much problem.

MINIATUS :confused:

I’d cut some holes and flip the boxes around to the inside on the ones that you’re intending to use for the timers.
And by all means, cover up the rest that’s on the backside for those inevitable plashes that always occur. Did you use short screws to mount the board on the back of your stand? I think that would be helpful as well... That way you can take the whole thing out fairly easily if you need to.

It’s all looking great, Min! Nice work!

MINIATUS,

Here is how I did mine. Mounted on acrylic and tucked them up in the rafters of the stand. Screwed in so I can have access just by unscewing a few screws. A fan is mounted for the ballasts to keep cool. Just an idea.

Ballast_outlets.jpg

Someone tell me how to post thumbnails!!

Ken

After much though and measuring I decided to put everything at the back.I guess the idea of electrical inside the stand where the sump is just doesnt cut it. My last setup everything corroded and got tossed. With this setup I have a foot of space from the back to the wall, so putting the timers back there isnt a problem. I also added GCFIs to this hook up. Spash shield is on order,so no water will be dripping on it.

MINIATUS

Looks to me like a well thought out and implemented project. With the splash guard in place it should work great!!!!!

JMHO but nice job

Duane

Back