In your opinion. Do you think there should be a total dark period.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iroll253

Do you think that there should be a total dark period in your light cycle in a 24hr period?

What effect would running lunars at night really do?

When they are on, the zoos up on top of the scape are usually always open.

Don't know if there are pros, or cons. But, mine are off from 6am to 8am. Its still dark out side, and the tank gets light from first light as the day comes on.

I don't know if anyone can actually prove scientifically one way or the other as to whether or not moonlights will have any effect. Mine are on for a few hours each night starting at 9 PM but my tank is totally dark from about 2:30AM til dawn each day. I've seen some of my zoo's open even in total darkness so I'm not sure what effect if any the moonlights have. I've heard that some controllers have the ability to simulate the intensity of your lunars to mimic changes through the seasons.

I do not use them as stated in another thread, but my lights are completely for 16hrs (8pm to 12pm next day).

what benefits there are I am not sure of all I know is that people use it to breed mostly and say also with the moon lights it helps the fish breed. I personally do not use the New moon effect just regular moon LEDs and call it a day. other then breeding fish I guess you could do a study to see if your corals react differently or what not.

Back